Too many hops for the recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleephla

Reaction score
So this is my 3rd brew, please bear with me. I ordered a Red Hook ESB clone from Austin Homebrew recently and the sheet calls for 1/2 oz of Willamette hops at 15 mins left, but they included 1 oz in the package. Will this give the beer too much of a hoppy flavor if I include the entire package instead of the 1/2 oz that the sheet recommends. I'm wayyyyy new at this, so hopefully this isn't too stupid of a question.

Thanks!

if it calls for 1/2 oz go ahead and do that. at 15 min you won't get bitterness but you will get aroma and some flavor.

Do they also ask for a 1/2 oz addition at another time, say at 60 min? or 10min or 5min? I have never ordered a kit from AHS but normally most places don't give you extra hops. I would read the instructions again.

I would add the other half at flameout for less bitterness and more hop flavor/aroma. Although they are typically low in alpha's so they shouldn't raise the IBU's much at all if all addded at 15. Or you could dry hop with that other half. Decisions, decisions.......

I double checked the instructions... they only call for 1/2 oz of Willamette hops. Pardon the noob statement, but when is "flame out?"

An extra half an ounce will not hurt your beer. I have some that use 8 and 16 ozs.

I wouldn't expect you would notice the extra 1/2 ozs, unless you had the two beers side-by-side, and then you would probably say the one with the extra hops had more flavor.

Unless you find a reason for the extra, I would drop them in at about 5 minutes to go.

From his description of the effect on the brew, flameout would seem to indicate the end of the boil: namely, when you take the wort off the heat to begin cooling it for transfer to ferming container.

Awesome! Thanks everyone for your quick responses. I'm about to add the first hops at the 60 min mark. I love these forums.

Back