Great Dane Tri-Pepper Pils!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnie7781

Reaction score
Was in Madison, Wisconsin over the weekend and stopped by the Great Dane Brewing Company. Had a glass of this Tri-Pepper Pils and was wondering if anybody knows anything about it.

"Jalapeno, Poblano and habanero were added to a pilsner base. Results in a subtly spicy brew that is more about pepper flavor than pepper heat. So much so that folks who prove their toughness by demonstrating their ability to ingest spicy foods will be disappointed."

Here's some reviews:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/952/11848

Despite what some of the reviewers said, my pint looked like a traditional pilsner and was quite clear.

I'm interested in adding some peppers to a pilsner, but don't have any idea how much or when to add it. Would you "dry hop" the peppers then lager? Suggestions and/or ideas welcome.

Randy Mosher in Radical Brewing recommends 1 - 3 peppers (according to your heat tolerance) per 5 gallon batch. They would be chopped, seeded, and deveined and would be added at end of boil or to a secondary.

Wow! Cool!

If I added the peppers to a secondary, which would be my preferred method, should I re-rack to a keg/clean secondary before lagering?

You could do it a few different ways. I would probably just add them to the secondary with about a week or two left in your lagering (you don't necessarily need to move to a true secondary). Some others here may have other opinions as well that would help.

Just did a couple searches (probably should've done that first) and it sounds like an ale would work just as well and I wouldn't have to worry about lagering. One less thing...

Thanks again.

Absolutely. If you're ok with making an ale instead that is certainly an easier route to go. I would suggest going with a Kolsch as that would be a close ale comparison to the Pils you tried.

Pulling this from the archives to ask how it turned out. How much pepper did you do and when?

I would definitely like to try and brew something like the Dane's Tri-pepper pils. I am not big on many of their beers but a couple are nice and this one I love. It has a richness followed by a breath of pepper that reminds me of jalapeno cornbread...I am a southern transplant to Madison. Mmm..I am going to their website to see if any locations might currently have it.

Latest posts

Back