Small Beer Batch Sparge Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaliciousMushrm

Reaction score
Ok, I have searched and I think that I know the answer, but I would like some re-assurance. I am doing my first all grain attempt soon! I am excited and have all the equipment ready. I am using a cooler mlt w/ a copper manifold and plan on using batch sparging. I am planning on brewing beer for my upcoming wedding, so I need a beer that "most" people will drink along w/ a "craft" beer for some of us others (probably an IPA). Anyway, for the beer most people will drink I plan on replicating this recipe...

BierMuncher-Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Safale - 05
Yeast Starter: Prior Slurry
Batch Size (Gallons): 11.5
Original Gravity: 1.040
Final Gravity: 1.005
IBU: 14.3
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 2.9
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 Days at 68 Degrees
Additional Fermentation: Kegged and chilled for 10 days
Batch Size: 11.50 gal
Boil Size: 14.26 gal
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 2.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 14.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
4.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)
1.00 lb Minute Rice (1.0 SRM)

1.00 oz Williamette [5.20%] (60 min)
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50%] (60 min)

The grain bill is cheap and in this case, you can use Minute Rice instead of flaked rice. No step mashing required. Simply combine the ingredients and follow a simple single infusion mash at around 152 degrees. I also mashed this for 90 minutes to get a highly attenuated beer. FG was 1.005...leaving a very dry, crisp beer with no noticeable graininess.

Also I will convert this via beersmith to a 10 gallon recipe.

The estimated OG is 1.040 and I was wondering if doing a double batch sparge would cause the last runnings to go too thin. So would I be better off simply doing a single sparge? I am using a 62qt cooler, so I think I have enough room for it. It is my understanding that this is a borderline beer that could go either way, but I am not sure. Thanx in advance guys. This forum ROCKS:rockin:

You should have no problems doing a double batch sparge.

I would give some thought to your water ph. That is a very pale beer. It depends on what kinda water you start with but your ph may end up very high.

I brewed this while looking for a crowd-pleaser, too. My dad, who only drinks Miller Lite and think Heineken is a craft beer loves this beer. So much so that he's asked me to help him build a kegerator for his garage at home! This will be a great beer to brew for a crowd of BMC'ers.

You should have no problems doing a double batch sparge.

I would give some thought to your water ph. That is a very pale beer. It depends on what kinda water you start with but your ph may end up very high.

I plan on using a ph buffer (5.2 mash stabilizer) So I hope that helps to keep things where they should be

Back