Getting some books, any recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
gonna get some brewing books today and want a book with some good and unique recipes. Was thinking I'd pick up extreme brewing by sam calgione (dogfish Head) and other suggestions?

I don't know of any books, but did you take a look at the recipe database here? There are TONS of recipes there. Just figured if you haven't it might save you a trip and some money. :)

That's a pretty good one. I'd also get "Designing Great Beers" by Ray Daniels or "Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer. Both great books that WILL help you brew better beers.

That's a pretty good one. I'd also get "Designing Great Beers" by Ray Daniels or "Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer. Both great books that WILL help you brew better beers.

+1 on Brewing Classic Styles. I bought it a few weeks ago, very useful and lots of great recipes from someone with a proven track record. Haven't read Designing Great Beers, but that may be my next purchase.

I would def recommend picking up Brewing Classic Styles, it's excellent. The recipes are all targeted at being a good example of the style. Each is a guaranteed winner as written, but also a great jumping off point for modification to your own taste. You wont be disappointed.

Brewing Classic Styles is a great book, but I gotta say that Designing Great Beers, more than any other book, improved my brewing. If I had to pick 1 book to brew with on a desert island, it would be DGB. The first few chapters cover the basics, but he adds details that are so important but many of the other books either gloss over or ignore completely. Because of Ray Daniels, I will never miss a target gravity again. Thanks Ray! :mug:

Another vote for Designing Great Beers. Even after brewing more than 100 all grain batches, I still reference that book when designing a new recipe. It's a great book.

Don't know if it's any good but I do know that "The Joy of Homebrewing" is a homebrewing classic. In fact, I think it's up to volume two or three now.

gonna get some brewing books today and want a book with some good and unique recipes. Was thinking I'd pick up extreme brewing by sam calgione (dogfish Head) and other suggestions?

IMHO I suspect most of the recipes you find packed into these books is to satisfy the publishers. They can be a decent reference. Books with real substance can help a great deal.

Palmer's Brewing Manual

Palmer's Recipe Book

Miller's Brew Book

The Classic Beer Styles Series

I am not a fan of the Papazian books (although I know the brew world is somehow indebted to the guy). They are fun to look at see what it's like to be the aged hippie who helped get everything started, but Palmer's books are very, very useful. The Dave Miller book is an excellent brush-up as a second perspective. And, the Classic Beer Styles is good beer journalism.

I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I'm told Ray Daniel's book on designing beers is a good resource. I have not read it.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back