Hops stuck on side of pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zythe84

Reaction score
I am doing my second batch of brew. After boiling the wort, I noticed that all the hops were sort of caked to the side of the pot above the water level. My question is, is it necessary to mix these back into the wort, or can I remove the excess amounts to keep that much more out of the mix? I am not 100% whether or not the hops are necessary to be in primary, or if they have already done their job after being brewed.

I ended up mixing them in anyway. Hope this is ok. Please give me some feedback...

When I am boiling my wort and it starts to boil up I always get hops left around the edge of the pot. I will scrape them back down in and let them do some more work:) . I doesn't hurt anything and will increase your hop utilization.

It doesn't really matter what happens to the hops after the boil. MOst people perfer to remove them from the wort before putting the wort into the fermenter, but I've dumped everything from my kettle into my carboy on many occasions and not worried about it.

The short story on hops is (and these are my own rough approximations):

boil for a long time (60 min) to get bitterness out of them
boil for a medium time (30 minutes) to get flavor out of them
boil for a short time (less than 10 minutes) to get aroma out of them

There is also something called "dry hopping" where you put new hops directly into the secondary fermenter to get more aroma.

Back