Strawberry Kiwi Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dewwby

Reaction score
So this is my first Strawberry Kiwi...

15# Clover Honey
2 OZ Nutrient
Water to make 5 gallons
1 pkg Montrachet yeast
1 tsp grape tannin
16 lbs strawberries
4 lbs kiwi
2 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
campden tabs

So as I was going to wait to put fruit in secondary, I cleaned or peeled the fruit, put in separate freezer bags and froze.

Put honey in a hot water bath to get warm for easier pouring. I do not boil my mead yeast. Once warm enough I put the honey, nutrient and water into primary and mixed well. I use a one of those long black paint stirrers you put on a drill as this gets the job done fast! Sprinkled the yeast on top and let sit for about 12 hours. After 12 hours I mixed int he yeast.

Sat for about 8 hours with a little action but when I got up, it was going nuts :) Music to my ears.

So once initial ferment is done (probably about 3 to 4 weeks), I will add the enzyme to the fruit puree, mix them real good and put in a mesh bag into the secondary with the tannin.

After about a month or even 2, I will rack over to a 3rd and ass 1 pkg of Super Kleer and 5 campden tabs (crush well and dissolve in a cup of warm water). This is probably the best stuff for wine, I love it! Once cleared (about a week) will rack again. Not sure yet but I will probably let sit in that carboy for 2 month then bottle and age for at least 6. Will keep you up to date.

How did this turn out? Was the kiwi flavor balanced with the strawberry? What was the O.G. and F.G. ? Was it clear? Anyone have experience with a strawberry kiwi mead? What ratio of strawberry to kiwi did everyone use?

I'm thinking of a 2:1 strawberry:kiwi ratio whenever I get to it. Does the montrachet yeast really work well with this recipe? I see it used a lot with this combination.

Back