WhiteLabs yeast and starters...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DD2000GT

Reaction score
I just recently discovered these forums a few weeks ago when I got back into homebrewing - and have been reading archieves several hours a day :cross: I have read enough to know that liquid yeast, especially the ones in test tubes, would benefit greatly from a starter. I am doing a Holiday Ale I plan to give out to family members for Christmas Presents as I am currently out of a job - so since this is going to others I want to get the best beer possible (I am not afraid to experiement on my own brews - that is why I love homebrewing). I got the kit from Austim Homebrew Supply, so I know the ingredients are top notch - I just want to make sure I don't blow it by letting wild yeast outnumber the good yeast.

Anyway - I usually use dry yeast and have recently had good success with the "smack pack" liquid yeast, but very green to those test tube versions. I have absolutely no experience on making yeast starters, and would greatly appreciate how to make a simple, easy, starter to get my yeast count up prior to pitching. I use dry yeast because I like simplicity, so the easier the better here. Also - how long before I start brewing should I start this yeast starter?

Thanks all - this forum is awesome!

Dan

I think all liquid yeasts will benefit from a starter not just the smac paks. Go to mrmalty.com and you will find a wealth of knowledge on his site about yeast.

You'll get a bunch of links, but here's the deal:

Make a starter wort by mixing a cup of DME into a quart of water and boiling for a few minutes. I usually boil for five minutes, but many say to boil for 10-15 (I find that overkill). Cool the wort in an ice bath, add to a sanitized vessel by sanitary means, pitch the yeast, swirl it up, cover with an airlock, foil, plastic wrap, or whatever you have that is sanitary, and let nature take its course.

It's best to start your starter at 2-5 days before brewing. If you start a few days before, you will give the starter enough time to fully ferment the wort and build its glycogen reserves back up. You also should have enough time to cold crash the starter, so that you can decant the starter liquor and maximize your pitching rate. Really, you can start even earlier than five days out and just keep it in the fridge once it is finished.

Scale up the starter, depending on what you are brewing. I will vary anywhere between a quart and a half gallon, usually right inbetween there (1.5 cups DME in 48 oz water).

TL

I made a starter from White Labs Saturday morning knowing I was brewing in 24 hours. Nothing happened to the starter and I was a little worried , Sunday afternoon I pitched the yeast.

Monday morning I have rolling boil like activity in my carboy. I'm a solid starter guy even with Smack packs. It really does help a ton.

One thing to remember is to shake the container often (when ever I walked past it) to get O2 into the starter wort.

1 cup DME in 32 oz water is what I used.

Back