Mash Hopping with an Overnight Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I am brewing a bitter this weekend, and I have become such a fan of overnight mashes, that I built a mashtun out of a very expensive, stainless steel, insulated coleman cooler. I will lose less than 5 degrees in 12 hours with this mash tun, enough about my baby.

I love me a nice hoppy, bitter. So I have been doing alot of first wort hopping and the results are nice, but now I am thinking of combining my overnight mash with mash hopping. I would expect that the 8-12 hours rest with the hops would yield a much better extraction of hop oils and other delicious compounds than the usual hour, but I have never done this before.

has anybody ever combined mash hopping with an overnight before or have an opinions regarding this technique?

Hour long do you usually FWH. An overnight mash would certainly extract more hoppy goodness but I dont know at what point it just wouldnt be worth it to mash any longer. I think you should do a little research with mash time vs. FWH extraction and report back to us, so we can try it.

FWH hop lasts just the amount of time it takes to collect the first runnings , second running and come to a boil I guess. I do overnight mashing all the time, but never had I added mash hops to this process. I am hoping that the results would be great, I haven't been able to find any information on doing both, but lots of information on one or the other.

I am going to try this for sure, and in a month or two, hopefully I remember to post my findings.

Back