Travelling with cornies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Downs

Reaction score
So I've not got my kegerator at home and 1 at my office. We're having an open house and I want to take a couple cornies down.

Its a good 25 km's from home so the beer is going to be moving around.

Should I relieve pressure before I go? The beer is just finished carbonating now so it doesn't need it for that purpose.

I plan to take it down the day before will that be long enough for the beer to settle.

Also I've got to take them in my Mazda 5, I assume standing up is best way to transport but I may have lay them down, is this a problem?

Thanks in advance guys.

you are thinking too much into this. Transport is fine. Remember, Big Breweries ship kegs all over the country under full pressure.

It's fine.
Lay them down...stand them up heck...they don't care! Just get them there as early as possible and get them COLD ASAP so they can settle as much as possible before the first pour.

LOL ok I just want this thing to go off well.

They are cold already my Vanilla Blonde Lager tastes great.

So my biggest problem is ensuring I don't drink it all before Thursday.

thanks

I'm still trying to digest the fact that you have a kegerator in the office...:rockin: :mug:

Only thing about laying them down is if the lid gets popped open some how.
If you have to lay them down, I would turn them upside down for a drip test before putting them in the car.

Keep them standing, if you can. I wouldn't worry about a leak, but it will help your beer from getting all dirtied up by the sediment. Also, remember that the dirtiest beer is always the first to come out, so you may want to toss (or, at least, do not not offer to others) the first pint that comes out.

And, do not worry at all about "full" pressure. Those kegs are rated to 130 psi.

TL

What Texlaw said. If you have sediment I'd pour off a few samples, uh, glasses, before putting it in the car to try to keep the beer more clear.

If it was filtered you're good to go. +1 for filtering.;)

Keep the pressure on it and discharge before hooking it back up to gas.

I am with the guys who say leave it carbed and let it rest if you can. If you can't let it rest give the first couple pints to the dog.

I took two full Cornies, upright, from Dallas down to San Antonio one weekend, no trouble, the dogs were already gassy when I got there.

+1 for filtering if you have the technology.

wow guys thanks for all the great advice
i dont have a lot of sediment at all, im real picky when i rack so none of that tends to make it.

i think ive got a way to keep them upright so ill try that and only lay down if need be

and oh yeah the cool thing about being your own boss
i decided i needed a kegerator for the office
and then went and got one

thanks fellas

that came off sounding wrong
i do get some sediment obviously just not a ton
im transporting today and the event isnt until tomorrow so hopefully everything will settle
im going to "test" the first pint anyway or maybe a couple
so none of the actual guests should get anything but clear, cold heaven in a glass

i wouldn't worry about much, i just traveled from buffalo, ny to ocean city, md (~500 miles) with a corny of home brew and everything was absolutely fine. your 25km in a car with far softer suspension then mine wont do nearly as much to the keg as what i did, unless of course you plan on off roading in which case i default to you.

Latest posts

Back