I'm no expert so I need help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoughandReadyRanch

Reaction score
Ok this is not a Smoking question but more of a grill advice question. I was given a master forge like this guy here from lowes last summer.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

This is not the exact model as they no longer carry it. It was the auto light model that could be hooked up to propane to get the coals started. Either way, I have made many a meals on it and it feels as though it has been a struggle almost every time. I use a weber chimney since propane is better used brewing. I get a good amount of coals going. Close the lid and only get about 300'F on the thermometer. I just can't seem to get the thing ripping hot. There is no vent control really as the back of the thing has a huge gap near the ash catcher. Does anyone have this model? Can anyone give me some tips aside from go buy a weber? I love the look of this grill but I am hating the performance. There is no way to lock it down and save charcoal either. Any tips would be appreciated. I am a novice griller but in the kitchen I am a pro. I have read the books and done my homework and I have seen many of my friends make fire on a freaking gutted out gas grill and grill better then my grill. I need to know if it is me or the tools? HELP!?!?!

you are just relying on the coals from the chimney? those should be used to get more charcoal going. Having that gap open should give it more air, but you need to have it vent out the top to get a good draft flowing.

you are just relying on the coals from the chimney? those should be used to get more charcoal going. Having that gap open should give it more air, but you need to have it vent out the top to get a good draft flowing.

I get the coals going, about 15 minutes in the chimney and then dump them into the charcoal section of the grill. Lock things down a bit. Vents at the bottom front are open and the chimney stack on top is open. I shut the lid and let the grates heat up, and I would expect greater then 250-350' heat but it just doesn't seem to get going. The gap in the back is uncontrollable in that it is about a 1/2in. gap near the ash tray catch.

yeah, you add the coals from the chimney into your charcoal section, then you add more charcoal on top of the coals. that will get your heat up.

Latest posts

Back