Kolsch did not reach final gravity.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paquitin

Reaction score
Just transferred a Kolsch I brew a week ago to secondary and realized that I was short on my final gravity. OG was 1.044 and final gravity was suppose to be 1.011. My OG was 1.046 and FG was 1.020. It was a 6.08 gal batch and I pitched 1 vial of white labs German/ Kolsch. I usually make a starter for all my high gravity beers but i thought that I would not need one for this one. Beer fermented between 64-66f. I also added yeast nutrient at the last 15 min of boil to help with fermentation. Does any one how a clue why this happened? Appreciate the info.

I do BIAB, and I do recall adding 1.5 gal of water more than what beer smith called for. I just thought that if I mashed for 30 min and had a longer boil I would reach my numbers.

Paquitin said:
I do BIAB, and I do recall adding 1.5 gal of water more than what beer smith called for. I just thought that if I mashed for 30 min and had a longer boil I would reach my numbers.

I mean an additional 30min to the original 75 min.

I just brewed a Kolsch using the same strain of yeast. You said that you transferred after only a week. Did you take hydro readings to confirm it was done? I have read that strain of yeast can take 3 weeks to finish. Mine took almost that long and it finished at 1.009. What was your mash temp?

Phunhog said:
I just brewed a Kolsch using the same strain of yeast. You said that you transferred after only a week. Did you take hydro readings to confirm it was done? I have read that strain of yeast can take 3 weeks to finish. Mine took almost that long and it finished at 1.009. What was your mash temp?

Mash temp was 152F. I did not take hydro readings bc after 4 days there was no songs of active fermentation. I left the yeast in primary for three more days and today I rack it to secondary. I have to say I did not know about that strain needing up to three weeks to complete fermentation. That could have been the problem. Ty. For the info.

If I were you I would pitch some more yeast into your secondary and try to coax it to finish. I think a 1.020 Kolsch will be way too sweet.

I just floated a keg of Kolsch, and I've got another one waiting in the wings. I use the Wyeast Kolsch yeast, but it's probably the same thing. I made a 4L starter and decanted.

Mine, OG = 1.049, FG was 1.009.

I made it Feb 11. Mashed at 150F. 12 days ferment @ 60F, 3 days cold crash (32F), rack to keg, 2 weeks in keg, then my dad visited for a week and killed it (OK, I helped a lot, and my crazy neighbor came over with his spaghetti jar and drank a bunch!)

I made this recipe (10g batch): https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/tibers-perfect-koelsch-231590/

Spaghetti jar lol.

I have an altbier sitting in the garage fridge that needs bottling. Used the 2565, fermented 62. Going right over the top of the yeast cake with fresh. Today it will be just a kolsch. Seems some dispute whether to use wheat. I say no. Not to style from the old days of Cologne. Ever used the Global Cologne malt? I am going to use all of that it's more like a munich than pils. Old style Kolsch.

I have an altbier sitting in the garage fridge that needs bottling. Used the 2565, fermented 62. Going right over the top of the yeast cake with fresh. Today it will be just a kolsch. Seems some dispute whether to use wheat. I say no. Not to style from the old days of Cologne. Ever used the Global Cologne malt? I am going to use all of that it's more like a munich than pils. Old style Kolsch.

(I've got a keg of altbier waiting too :) )

Never heard of that malt. I've never had a commercial Kolsch, so I don't know what they are supposed to be like, and what an old and new style would be. I do like what I made though.

Never heard of that malt. I've never had a commercial Kolsch, so I don't know what they are supposed to be like, and what an old and new style would be. I do like what I made though.

Here's some stuff on the malt. It is made in Cologne where Kolsch traditionally made. Anyway I bought a bag of it. A little darker than pils. Old style or what they made in the old days weren't as light as commercial examples today. Which there aren't many of because Cologne got hammered with bombs in WWII and wiped out much of Kolsch brewing. Also they tried to make lager there and they tried to prevent them from doing so. Ultimately they did with the advent of mechanical refrigeration. Gets hot in Cologne in summer so lager was not easy to do without it. As to the wheat it seems to have crept into the modern concept of a Kolsch. Pils and a little wheat.

http://www.brewerssupplygroup.com/Global.html

Here's some stuff on the malt. It is made in Cologne where Kolsch traditionally made. Anyway I bought a bag of it. A little darker than pils. Old style or what they made in the old days weren't as light as commercial examples today. Which there aren't many of because Cologne got hammered with bombs in WWII and wiped out much of Kolsch brewing. Also they tried to make lager there and they tried to prevent them from doing so. Ultimately they did with the advent of mechanical refrigeration. Gets hot in Cologne in summer so lager was not easy to do without it. As to the wheat it seems to have crept into the modern concept of a Kolsch. Pils and a little wheat.

http://www.brewerssupplygroup.com/Global.html

Thanks for that. I was about an hour from Cologne in November, but I couldn't find a bar that served Kolsch. I should have gotten over there but didn't. Next time I guess.

Altbier rocks. Yummy and the longer you lager the better it seems to get. I was going to bottle it but am letting it sit a while longer at 50.

Yesterday I made some wort with the Global Cologne malt no other malt used. 20 lbs for a 10 gallon batch. Put in some amarillo and tet for boil and tet at 15 mins and KO. Lovely color richer than a pale nice flavor I really liked it as wort both warm and cold. It isn't a Kolsch as I rehydrated and threw in Nottingham for both 5s. It's in the cold garage and may need a warm up this AM.

:mug:

Hi All, first time poster but long-time reader. I've had the pleasure of passing through Cologne, and managed to sample beers from about 6 of the 22 Kolsch breweries.

The beers obviously taste quite similar due to the restrictions of the style (a light-coloured, top fermented, and the water in Cologne being very soft). But some were fruitier (but still light on the esters), some were maltier, to the point that I think that 2 that I sampled must use Vienna or Munich malt in the grain bill. The main features were that they were all light-tasting, low-carbonated (almost to the level of a British Ale), delicately hopped, little to no hop aroma.

I think that homebrewers tend to use wheat more than the Kolsch breweries, but Eric Warner states in his book "Kolsch" that some breweries use up to 20% wheat malt. For us homebrewers, the wheat malt helps with the head generation/retention, especially since the OG is quite low. But better brewers (better than me) can mash appropriately to get what they need out of standard pils 2-row malt.

The other good thing I recall about Kolsch was that I was arriving from Amsterdam, where I had drank way too much the night before, and had a massive hangover. But I still went out bar-hopping in Cologne and drank 3 litres of the stuff, and my head actually felt better in the morning. You don't get hangovers from drinking German beer!

Hi All, first time poster but long-time reader. I've had the pleasure of passing through Cologne, and managed to sample beers from about 6 of the 22 Kolsch breweries.

The beers obviously taste quite similar due to the restrictions of the style (a light-coloured, top fermented, and the water in Cologne being very soft). But some were fruitier (but still light on the esters), some were maltier, to the point that I think that 2 that I sampled must use Vienna or Munich malt in the grain bill. The main features were that they were all light-tasting, low-carbonated (almost to the level of a British Ale), delicately hopped, little to no hop aroma.

I think that homebrewers tend to use wheat more than the Kolsch breweries, but Eric Warner states in his book "Kolsch" that some breweries use up to 20% wheat malt. For us homebrewers, the wheat malt helps with the head generation/retention, especially since the OG is quite low. But better brewers (better than me) can mash appropriately to get what they need out of standard pils 2-row malt.

The other good thing I recall about Kolsch was that I was arriving from Amsterdam, where I had drank way too much the night before, and had a massive hangover. But I still went out bar-hopping in Cologne and drank 3 litres of the stuff, and my head actually felt better in the morning. You don't get hangovers from drinking German beer!

Very cool welcome and thanks for sharing! Now I am pumped to do a "proper" Kolsch whatever that means! For me it means bottling my Altbier, splitting the yeast cake of Wyeast 2565 and brewing up 10 gallons to go with it. Today is the day!

Seems Kolsch is a forgotten style and one that would go very well with the BMC crowd.

Yup, now I have a yearn to do a Kolsch myself ... I was going to consider a Belgian Ale of some sort, but now I'm getting nostalgic :)

Totally agree about Kolsch and BMC ... more flavour, but well within their expectations of what "beer" should be. My last 3 batches were 2 Alt biers and 1 Wheat, and I think I owe it to my friends to produce something less confusing (if only to show them that I can actually brew beer).

Man, now I need to get another Kolsch going after reading this thread. It seems to be a perennial favorite of my light beer drinking friends and family. That will be #3 for me and my first all grain. My first was extract and my second was partial mash with 3 lbs LME & 2 lbs Global Kolsch malt/2lbs Pilsner malt/.5 lb wheat.

Really liked the 2nd brew with the Global Kolsch malt. I think using it at roughly 50% of the malt bill is ideal. Gave it a slightly sweet, grainy taste that I really dug. I think using it as 100% of the grain bill would make it too dark IMO, and maybe a bit too intense.

Also I will follow it up with an Alt beer using part of the 2565 yeast cake. Never done one of those before. Anyone got a good recipe for that?

Latest posts

Back