Brewing with homegrown hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a large volume of hops, but I don't think its actually much weight, and I have no idea what the alpha acid levels are at all. Thats why it was experimental increase. I didn't grow these, my wife got them from an older woman in town who was asking if anyone wanted them and would use them.
I really like the flavour, and I am not generally somebody who likes very hoppy beer.

Picture from fall 2022 hop harvest beer. I used 1 oz Willamette pellets to insure bittering. Picked 24 oz nugget while mashing and all used for the 5.5 gallon batch.
Pouches for reference. Water heater pan worked great for measuring.

Attachments

• IMG_20220916_143613985.jpg
    IMG_20220916_143613985.jpg
    947 KB · Views: 0
Last year's crop for me was light, so I just dried and froze for this year.

This year, the hops again started off slow because of wacky weather in SoCal, but the NeoMex I planted is going to be more productive in year 1 than any other hop I have ever had, period. These things are putting out burrs and sidearms as they climb, it's truly amazing to see.

I haven't used them to dry hop.
You should - that's where you get the best advantage of wet/green hops over dried hops - for dry hopping you want all the volatile aroma compounds that are normally driven off in the oasthouse. In general with limited supplies of wet/green hops, you want to start at the end of the brewing process and work backwards - use them for dy hopping if at all possible but only use them for bittering if you have more than you know what to do with.

I've read that you should use 10x weight of wet hops as equivalent. That assumes your hops have same AA as the commercial dried hops. This is an unknown for most homegrowers.
The alpha acids aren't really relevant, it's all about the moisture content. The usual ratio suggested in the UK is 7:1, USians seem to suggest either 5:1 or 6:1, presumably it depends depending on how drying the weather is whilst they are on the bine.

You should - that's where you get the best advantage of wet/green hops over dried hops - for dry hopping you want all the volatile aroma compounds that are normally driven off in the oasthouse. In general with limited supplies of wet/green hops, you want to start at the end of the brewing process and work backwards - use them for dy hopping if at all possible but only use them for bittering if you have more than you know what to do with.

The alpha acids aren't really relevant, it's all about the moisture content. The usual ratio suggested in the UK is 7:1, USians seem to suggest either 5:1 or 6:1, presumably it depends depending on how drying the weather is whilst they are on the bine.
Thanks, I don't normally dry hop my bitters so I just put the hops in the hop back which worked okay.

This year I hope the tangerine dream does better and then I will use that as a dry hop in something for sure. I'll probably just put them into the fermentersaurus and then drain out of the bottom to transfer which should filter on the way to the cask.

Just got hold of a pin cask so proper potential for real real ale.

Latest posts

Back