Off to a good start!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ringatom

Reaction score
Okay, so me and a bunch of buddies went and bought a wine/beer kit, included were all the tools required to brewing beer. so we picked up a Coopers English bitter. along with Muntons Beerkit enhancer. now I did have sort of an idea how to brew beer as i watched my grandfather make wine many times. so i sterilized everything with the Chlorine powder inc.
i then heated up the Malt by dropping the tin in a bath of hot water to soften the contents. after i had that done, i dumped it into the primary fermenter tub (top doesn't have an airlock) so you have to leave the cover unclipped, and i boiled 3 or 4 L of hot water in a kettle and cleaned the tin and mixed the malt with the water so it wasn't stuck to the bottom. Here's where i start to go screwy, i started to fill up the fermentor to 23L, as it was filling i got distracted with writing down the information on the brew history card. and filled it 3 L over, I never thought and started scooping it out with the malt can. i got it down to 24L then realizing that i could have been contaminating the brew. so after that happened i brought it in my room, the temp was holding between 20 - 23 C when i then spread the yeast over top (and again started stirring) i called a realtive of mine who then said i was suppose to dump the 1KG of beer enhancer (which is dextrose) before spreading the yeast so i did so after, he told me it may come back to life and may not. a few hours later i opened the top to see that it was fermenting. i recorded the OG at 1.023 this was at 12/1/19 i have been periodically opening the top and checking the brew. but the first few days there was a large amount of foam at the top. the temperature of the brew has been holding at 25 - 27 C while fermenting. today i checked the gravity and it was at 1.010 with a little foam on top. so i was wondering if this will taste half decent. or is it going to be a first time bust. heres a picture of the brew at the moment kinda looks like mold on the top, wednesday afternoon i will be racking it over into the carboy. so ill keep in touch on my gravity and how it goes.
1000757b.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/80/1000757b.jpg/

Looks fine if you take another gravity sample try it. I always drink my samples. It sounds like your beer has reached its final gravity and is done fermenting. We will have no clue what it will taste like cause we can't try it. It should taste like beer.

okay, so i should get a beer taste and not something horrid, ill give it a taste tonight and get another gravity sample like you said, and let you know.
Thanks.

Nothing fundamentally wrong with sterilizing with clorine powder, but if you do use that, you need to RINSE like crazy, as the clorine has a tendency to stick around and you certainly don't want a sterile clorine tinge to your beer.

To make it easier, most people on this board use non-rinse sterilizer, like StarSan, which you just spray and everything's sterile without having to rinse at all, and as long as you don't have a ton of it, it also adds no flavors to your beer if a little is left behind.

At first, StarSan looks expensive, at about $20.00 for a quart, but a little bit goes a long way, and it really is cheap in the long run. My last quart bottle of StarSan lasted me almost a year.

That's the stuff that I want to hear. I'll give it a try tonight. it's not going to taste carbonated is it.?

Flat beer is not my thing. lol but overall it has a smooth taste. I'm not good at descriptions. its had a wonderful aroma ever sense the first day of fermentation. It's very cloudy, but once I rack it over im Hoping It will get Clear overall personal rating not bad for my first brew. Once it gets bottled, carbonated and chilled. It's going to be lovely. The current gravity of the brew is at 1.009 give or take .001 few pictures i took as i was tasting it.
Here is the Album of pictures of the test http://imageshack.us/g/534/1000762i.jpg/

Latest posts

Back