American Porter Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to add vanilla bean extract (homemade using vodka and 2 beans) during bottling. I bottled 1/2 the batch with the vanilla and 1/2 without it. Both were really good; I am not sure which is better because the reviews were almost split 50/50. I think those that aren't porter drinkers enjoyed the vanilla porter better, but everyone agreed that this is a great beer (recipe). If anyone is curious about the vanilla porter, I would definitely recommend doing a split batch; its almost like you end up with 2 different beers from 1 batch.

I ended up just tapping my second keg of it this weekend. Pretty pumped that I had one in reserve.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ok guys I finally got this one going.
I used
10- 2 row (to hit OG with my system)
.75- medium crystal
.5- chocolate malt
.5- roasted barley
Mashed at 153 for 75 or so minutes
.5oz-Northern Brewer 60
.5oz-Fuggles 30
.5oz-Amarillo 20
.5oz- Amarillo 0
Chilled to 70 and pitched Wyeast GreenBelt from a starter.
Can not wait even though I missed the cold weather.

EF is a great porter. Not too roasty, nice amount of hops flavor. My impression is that GL uses the 1028 yeast, and I think the OG is closer to 1063-64 (16P). Of course, if you love it, no reason to change the recipe.

Thinking about giving this a go this coming weekend. Is cold crashing this absolutely necessary? Just want to make sure in case I don't have room in my kegerator when the time comes.

It's not, but it does ensure clarity of the beer!

What temp and time are you guys mashing at?

Hello All,

I didn't see this recipe in the database so I thought I would post it, because it's a damn fine Porter! This comes from the North American Clone Brews book and is a very close and enjoyable cloned recipe!

Original Gravity = 1057
Final Gravity = 1012
ABV = 5.7%
IBU = 55-60
SRM = 29
Size = 5.25 gallon

ALL GRAIN RECIPE:

8 lbs Pale Malt
.75 lbs Crystal Malt 50l
.5 lbs Chocolate Malt
.5 lbs Roasted Barley

Bring to Boil and add:
7 AAU's of Northern Brewer Hops
Boil 30 minutes then add:
4 AAU's of Fuggles Hops
4 AAU's of Cascade Hops
4 AAU's of Cascade Hops

Cool 5.25 gallons of wort down to 65 degrees and pitch:
Wyeast 1968

Ferment for two weeks, transfer to a secondary and cool condition (50-55 degrees) for 3 to 4 weeks...keg/bottle and drink at (recommended serving temp) 50 degrees!

To figure out how much hops you need, please use this calculator: http://realbeer.com/hops/bcalc_js.html

If you need partial mash or extract conversion let me know!

I would go with 152, often times my mashes range from 148 to 152.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

So I just made this today for the first time. It's my 3rd all grain brew. I stuck to the original recipe in the first post, and my water calculator was saying 10 gallons total. This was a bit higher than normal, but this is a 90 minute boil and just over 5 gallons in the primary, so I figured that was okay.

Everything was going well until I checked my OG. The wort was around 78F at the time, but even after adjusting for that, my OG was only 1.047. I guess it's just my efficiency, but I didn't have this problem on my first two all-grain brews -- I got really close on them. Won't be exactly what I was expecting, but we'll see in a month or so.

I meant to post this before... I brewed this the other day. Right now it's in secondary with some vanilla (soaked the beans in vodka for two weeks - might have done longer but I have to have it ready for a houseguest next month). Thanks for all the advice on the thread. Oh, also, I worked up a partial mash version for my equipment. The taste I got when I racked was very nice. Looking forward to seeing how it is with the vanilla in.
-bill

I meant to post this before... I brewed this the other day. Right now it's in secondary with some vanilla (soaked the beans in vodka for two weeks - might have done longer but I have to have it ready for a houseguest next month). Thanks for all the advice on the thread. Oh, also, I worked up a partial mash version for my equipment. The taste I got when I racked was very nice. Looking forward to seeing how it is with the vanilla in.
-bill

Did you change any grain amounts? Did you have any issues hitting the OG?

So I just made this today for the first time. It's my 3rd all grain brew. I stuck to the original recipe in the first post, and my water calculator was saying 10 gallons total. This was a bit higher than normal, but this is a 90 minute boil and just over 5 gallons in the primary, so I figured that was okay.

Everything was going well until I checked my OG. The wort was around 78F at the time, but even after adjusting for that, my OG was only 1.047. I guess it's just my efficiency, but I didn't have this problem on my first two all-grain brews -- I got really close on them. Won't be exactly what I was expecting, but we'll see in a month or so.

I didn't have much luck with this. 3 weeks later and the FG is 1.020. Disappointed, but hopefully it will taste good at least.

I've brewed this multiple times, I do 10 gallon batches, and it always seems to get stuck at 1.020. A friend who brews has the same problem. Love the Porter though ... Usually add cold brewed coffee concentrate at keg time, it's my go-to Coffee Porter.

I've brewed this multiple times, I do 10 gallon batches, and it always seems to get stuck at 1.020. A friend who brews has the same problem. Love the Porter though ... Usually add cold brewed coffee concentrate at keg time, it's my go-to Coffee Porter.

Do you hit the OG in the recipe? That seemed to be my bigger problem.

If you hit your OG, but can't hit your FG it's a fermentation issue....improper temps (core temp is 5 degrees higher than exterior temp), bad yeast strain, not allowing yeast to finish working, etc....

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Thinking of brewing this for Christmas, maybe with some rum. Gosling's Black Seal has a nice vanilla flavor. If you've brewed it, do you think it will be ready in time?

It seems to me if you are starting at 15 plato and finishing at 5.8% ABV then 1.017 is the target and 1.020 is not surprisingly far off especially when I believe they have their own yeast strain. I hope to brew this soon one of my favorite porters for sure.

I had a porter last night. Not this one, but it was good. It got me excited to brew this up again. Definitely one of the top 3 recipes I've brewed up. I highly recommend it.

Did you change any grain amounts? Did you have any issues hitting the OG?

Sorry! HBT didn't email me that people had responded. Yeah, I did change grains. Here was the recipe I used (to make it partial mash):

6lb 2 row
12oz Crystal 60
8oz Chocolate
8oz Roasted Barley
3.3lb LME Sparkling Amber (at 5min)

Looking for OG of 1.062.
After mash got 1.055 (69% efficiency) - I'd say that was pretty good.
After boil and dilution, 1.058.
FG came out to 1.015 for a 5.6% brew.

I JUST cracked open the first bottle and WHOA does it taste good. Sometimes I amaze even myself.
Thanks SD-SLIM!
-bill

Sorry! HBT didn't email me that people had responded. Yeah, I did change grains. Here was the recipe I used (to make it partial mash):

6lb 2 row
12oz Crystal 60
8oz Chocolate
8oz Roasted Barley
3.3lb LME Sparkling Amber (at 5min)

Looking for OG of 1.062.
After mash got 1.055 (69% efficiency) - I'd say that was pretty good.
After boil and dilution, 1.058.
FG came out to 1.015 for a 5.6% brew.

I JUST cracked open the first bottle and WHOA does it taste good. Sometimes I amaze even myself.
Thanks SD-SLIM!
-bill

I see. A bit different since I did the original recipe.

Mine has been kegged since Sunday so i've had a couple already. Despite not hitting my OG, it's still a good beer.

Followed the original recipe, except used Wyeast 1469, West Yorkshire Ale and adjusted grain bill for my system. Hit temps and numbers. Very good. Drank side by side with EFG. Mine was a bit darker with a whiter head. Mine had a bit more roast flavor. EFG seemed to have a bit of an odd, lactose/milk/sour milk taste. Very strage because I never picked it up before in EFG.

My first porter - vert good. Thanks for the recipe.

Brewed a few weeks back following recipe, except used 1469. My system tends to drift down on mash temps. I really like the mouth feel. Not looking for a thick porter. But, thinking something less roasty would be better. Suggesrtions? Would precer to stick with 1469.

I actually like drinking this beer warm and flat....don't get me wrong, carb and slightly chilled is pretty damn good!

Version 2 coming up.

Using all Maris Otter for pale, instead of 2 row. Have an excess of MO around.
Upped the Chocolate to 1 lb
Lowered barley to 8 oz

Will be using Wyeast 1469, West Yorkshire Ale, yeast again.

Trying to lower the roasty flavor a bit.

Find out next Saturday. They did the judging yesterday. SWMBO and I drank one of the bottles I filled at the same time yesterday and we both really liked this batch.

I scored an 87/100. 3rd place overall out of 100 or so entries was 92. So I'm pretty pumped. I'll be entering this same beer in Sicilianos contest coming up. Thanks again for the recipe Slim.

Latest posts

Back