Bucket Blow Out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johngault007

Reaction score
After 8 years of brewing, I have experienced my first fermentation explosion. I woke up this morning and noticed a lot of krausen in my airlock, so I changed it out for a fresh one and went off to work. At about 1230, my wife called and told me that she was in the adjacent room and heard a hiss, then a loud bang. I came home to half of the bucket lid blown off and foam on the wall. Surprisingly, there was not a big mess like I expected and I figured the fermentation was aggressive enough that the beer was safe to re-seal and keep going.

Not sure why the fermentation was so aggressive in this beer compared to others I've made, but it happened. I guess I'll use a carboy/blowoff next time I make this beer.

A Toffee Nut Brown called Euphoria. It's a recipe from a local craft brew company that they made available through the LHBS's in the area.

Nothing complicated about the grain bill, in fact, it's one of the smaller beers I have brewed. Just something in there that the Cal Ale yeast loved to chew on excessively.

Latest posts

Back