(very) big wort, no starter... when to freak out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdp

Reaction score
Well, I was aiming for about 1.065, but ended up with 1.071 'cos the boil was a tad more vigorous than I expected. Pitched the yeast anyways (what can you do). Problem is that I hadn't made a starter! FYI - was a Wyeast - can't recall the variety - meant to use Wyeast Ringwood, but the store was out and he gave me a substitute -- also Wyeast).

So, it's now at that 24 hour mark and no airlock activity. I know that no airlock doesn't mean anything etc, but I'm a bit worried. Thing is, not only didn't I have a starter, but I'd only smacked the pack about 5 hours before I pitched... please reassure me (i.e. when should I start to freak out). Do I just give it the old 72 hours and take a gravity reading?? If (worst case scenario), there's been little attenuation - is there any point in pitching more yeast, or is the beer toast?

Thanks!

Not yet, when you made it, it has X amount of total sugar. IF you got a1.071 instead of a 1.065 because you drove off more water, you still had X total sugar.... assuming 5 gallons, 65*5=325 325/71= about 4.6 gal....

Point is your total sugars of 325 are the same. Now with that said, usual pitch rate is 1 smack pack for 5 gallons up to 1.060... which means you should have made a starter. No big deal, you will get beer. Possibly more 'off' flavors than desired. Mostly towards a belgian ale style even if you didn't want them. Anyhow, take a hydro reading at 72hours - assuming you are home and not at work. RDWHAHB. It might take a little longer.

Thanks folks. Might be that there'll be be a few more "bonus" flavors (it'll be a belgian IPA!?) than you expect... there's about 400 GUs of sugar in there. Think I'll grab a homebrew and try to relax.

Back