Argentine Cascade - 8 oz dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I bought up a pound of argentine cascade back in the day, turns out these hops are not cool for bittering or flavoring at all...they taste medicinal and terrible. However, I think the aroma is quite pleasing.

I have 8 oz of vaccum packed 2 year old hops left. I was thinking about using the entire 8 oz to dry hop a 6 gallon batch of IIPA...recipe yet to be determined, but likely 1.080, cascade, magnum, centennial hopped in the boil, dextrose addition and simple grain bill.

Is there such a thing as too much dry hop!?

I have always percieved flavor from my dry hops. In the case of those rancid things, the best course would be to dry hop the trash can with them & count it as a lesson learned.

IMO, possibly ruining a batch of beer is not worth saving ~ $2 for a dry hop.

I have always percieved flavor from my dry hops. In the case of those rancid things, the best course would be to dry hop the trash can with them & count it as a lesson learned.

IMO, possibly ruining a batch of beer is not worth saving ~ $2 for a dry hop.

Dang it...you are probably right. Those hops are terrible. Maybe I will spread them around my front yard to teach the pricks whose dog poops on my lawn a lesson.....here puppy....HOPS ARE YUMMY!!

In the spirit of experimentation, I would at least siphon off 1 gallon to a jug (if you have one) and dry hop that with 2 oz or so, just to see what might have been.

I have used them succesfully for aromatic additions in numerous belgian ales, and it turned out just fine. But then again, i used them at 60,30,15,5 and flamout once, and it was my worst brew to date.

Oh my god, I'm surprised they're still selling that crap. Remember it is NOT a sub for Cascade. It bears no relationship to real cascade hops. ANd you really need to be careful how much you use. A little goes a long way to nastyness.

Before you do anything, read MY experience with that nasty stuff a few years back. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/smash-advice-mo-argentinian-cascade-92765/

The only thing I would do with AC is flush it down my toilet.

Oh my god, I'm surprised they're still selling that crap. Remember it is NOT a sub for Cascade. It bears no relationship to real cascade hops. ANd you really need to be careful how much you use. A little goes a long way to nastyness.

Before you do anything, read MY experience with that nasty stuff a few years back. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/smash-advice-mo-argentinian-cascade-92765/

The only thing I would do with AC is flush it down my toilet.

Agreed, they are pretty bad. YUCK.

I think I mention it in mym thread, or Conroe posts in it. But HE's had some luck, but he told me to not trust the Ibu listing, and to use like half of what your recipe would calculate out to. But I'm not going to bother spending money on any more to bother trying.

Latest posts

Back