Honey apple ginger mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnyjonjon

Reaction score
So this is what i want to do. I want to make a mead (I suppose it would technically be a cyser) But see the thing is i don't want the cider to do the majority of the flavoring. I want the apple and ginger to play second fiddle to the honey. So i have been looking online at a lot of cyser recipes and the main thing seems to be that they use cider instead of water. if i were to make a five gallon batch of this stuff do ya'll think it would be reasonable to just substitute 2 to 3 gallons of cider with water and then just increase the honey content? would that achieve the results I'm looking for? is that just plain stupid for any reason?
Also does anyone have any advice about the addition of ginger? (When to add, how to add)

Thank you so much!

Not stupid, if that's what you want. Why not try half water and half apple juice in the primary and add ginger in the secondary. To prevent overpowering the mead with ginger, begin with a few thumbnail sized slivers of fresh ginger and taste it after a month or so. You can always add more later.

Commercially produced apple cider and juice (since we use the term cider to describe unfermented apple juice in North America) are really the same thing. I know that some folks swear that "cider" has to be unfiltered, but in reality there is nothing in common convention nor in US agricultural guidelines or regulations that require it that way. In fact you'll find bottles of "filtered" cider and juice from the same supplier adjacent to each other on supermarket shelves, and you'd be correct in guessing that the contents of all those bottles are identical.

I guess the distinction i was assuming was one of average general appearance on the shelves of your local super market. as Flander's from the Simpson's so eloquently states it "If its clear and yellow you've got juice there fellow! If it's tangy and brown your in cider town!"

I guess the distinction i was assuming was one of average general appearance on the shelves of your local super market. as Flander's from the Simpson's so eloquently states it "If its clear and yellow you've got juice there fellow! If it's tangy and brown your in cider town!"
Hello,
So I'm curious and want to make this same type of Mead.
I know this was a while ago, but did you ever make the apple ginger mead?
If so, what was your recipe and how did it turn out?
Cheers to the Craft!!
🍺😎

The ingredients sound like it would be a tasty mead. I have some apple juice that needs to get used, maybe, it's time to make another batch of mead🤔🤨

Is time to make more mead :D

I'd follow the bomm protocol, or alternatively tosna 3.0.
I'm totally fine with & ready to make more mead! I would say 85% of the meads I make are using BOMM protocols. I still have 2 batches of dandelion mead to make & I'm getting sugar pumpkins this weekend to do this
Pumpkin Cyser.
It's definitely time to make more mead!
Happy meading 😎

Latest posts

Back