Belgian Candi Sugar to Maibock / Helles Bock ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultravista

Reaction score
I have a AHS 20th anniversary Maibock / Helles Bock all grain kit and I would like to kick it up a bit.

The recipe is simple, 68.2% 2-row pilsner malt, 31.8% Munich malt, and brewers gold hops.

I like a malty full bodied beer, so I'm thinking of ways to get it.

How would the addition of Belgian candi sugar change the recipe. Would it be good, bad, or just plain crap?

If good, what kind and how much do you suggest? I am thinking of a dark candi sugar to add carmelly sweetness and complexity. I just don't know what it will taste like with the grain bill above.

you don't have to use candi sugar, that stuff is a rip off. domino sugar will do the job but raw, unrefined sugars will add some flavor. sugar will actually help dry out a beer, cutting the maltiness so adding sugar may not be the way to go in your case.

What do you suggest adding to the base grains to produce something maltier and unique? I can always add grains to up the gravity and flavor. Maybe more Munich, Crystal, or ?

For a maltier beer, in this style, you can also just go low on the hops, too. Munich malt plus low hopping plus the right yeast will definitely give you malty.

Well, it is 30% Munich. I really like Abita's Andygator, a Helles Bock, but I can't find a recipe anywhere.

you could balance that with maris otter and a little bit of biscuit, or wheat. i've just been digging into radical brewing and it sounds like that's a great combo.

What about an Imperial Helles Bock, does a good commercial example exist?

http://www.examiner.com/beer-in-nat...s-bock-released-by-sierra-nevada-details-here

BOOM!

*excerpt*

Water: In an attempt to develop typical pilsener smoothness and unique hop characters, very soft water was maintained during the brewing process.

Yeast: Several batches were made using two lager yeasts; Sierra Nevada’s “house” lager yeast and my lager yeast I have been using in most of my homebrewing for the past (available as “Cry Havoc" Yeast through White Labs) 27 years. Sierra Nevada’s house lager yeast helped with attenuation or in other words more complete fermentation. My lager yeast contributes subtle and pleasant sulfur-like character reminiscent of fresh baked bread. At bottling, the beer was “backpitched” with both yeasts added to the bottles for better flavor stability and contribution to a comforting and sensual bready flavor and aroma. Primary fermentation was pursued at temperatures between 52 and 56 degrees F. Lagering was done for a few weeks at lower temperatures.

Malt: About 50% of the base malt was Czech (Bohemian) floor pilsener malt. The other half was large batch European pilsener malt typically used in many pilseners. Also used was about 3% Belgian aromatic malt and 3% Canadian honey malt. The aromatic malt adds significant amber color along with mild, yet notable bready/toasted fresh out of the oven sweet malt aromas and flavors. Honey malt contributes a bit more color along with a very pleasant and subtle floral honey aroma and flavor.

Hops: A very unique blend of hops for bittering, flavor and aromatic character was used. American and unique late and dry hopping techniques were involved in infusing the unique characters of hops. New Zealand Pacific Hallertauer hops were used for the bittering and long boil addition to the brew. A blend of German Tettnang and German Spalt Select were used during the latter stage of boiling for flavor and aroma. The brews were dry hopped during lagering with a 60/40 blend of American Crystal hops and German Hallertauer using Sierra Nevada’s unique recirculating “torpedo” method.

The hops were specifically chosen to contribute floral and sweet hop aromatics and flavor, with a smooth, gentle, yet very satisfying bitterness. Specifically avoided were popular American fruity and citrus-like hops such as Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra, Columbus. The hops that were used were chosen to dynamically and symbiotically compliment the deliberately infused malt characters. Final hop bitterness is about 41 bitterness units.

Original gravity was 19 degrees Plato (1.0785) and finishing at about 3.85 Plato (1.015). Six 200 barrel batches were brewed. That’s about only a limited one time edition of 180,000 - 25.4 oz corked bottles, available in limited quantities in markets that sell Sierra Nevada beer. The beer is unique. It does not fit any particular style. It is aptly called Charlie, Fred & Ken’s Imperial Helles Bock, a name that implies strength yet does not infringe upon the lighter colored and less malt complex traditions of German Helles and German Mai Bocks. German light colored bocks do not have even the slightest hint of amber. They do not have the toasted complexity nor the honey floral character. German Maibocks and Helles bocks rarely, if ever exceed 8% abv. German light bocks rarely exceed 27 bitterness units. This Imperial Helles Bock is slightly higher at 41 bitterness units in order to balance the higher alcohol and higher malt character; the effort is designed to develop and delicious balance, high on drinkability.

Now that I put more thought into it, I may shoot for the Rouge Double Dead Guy I've been hankerin for. On good authority, the grist bill is 68 (2-row), 22.5 (Munich), and 9.5 (C15).

I can up the 2-row, Munch, and add C15 and I'll be in the right ballpark.

The only difference is the AHS kit contains German Pilsner malt and the DDGA recipe calls for generic 2-row.

Is there a big difference in German Pilsner malt and 2-row US?

To up the recipe, I need an additional 3.5 pounds of the base malt - either 2-row or German Pils. Would you go with the generic US 2-row or continue on with German Pils?

Latest posts

Back