Beer and root beer on same CO2 tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jester4176

Reaction score
I'm about to make some root beer to add to my fridge along with my beer. I know that root beer is extremely potent, so should I worry about fumes from the root beer making it's way into the gas lines and contaminating the gas/beer? My setup will have 2 regulators off my tank. The first one will go to the root beer, and the second one will be for regular beer. Will this work, or should I get another bottle and keep the root beer on a separate system?

The root beer reg will have a T off of it so I can power the root beer and the cream soda kegs at the same pressure, which I believe should be 60 psi or so. If there is a possibility of contamination to the beer gas, will a check valve prevent this, or should I just bite the bullet and get another tank? I know someone on this board has experience with this, but there were no posts I found during a search on this topic.

With two regulators, the only connection is on the high pressure side, so there is no way that the soda can back up into the other regulator.

Check valves will take care of keeping the fluids out of the regulator, which can be a problem with sodas and highly carbonated lagers.

Back