Brew Day Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamd

Reaction score
Just gathered all my equipment and recipes last night and as we speak my water is boiling. I've read conflicting things on the timing of the ingredients. I am doing a West Coast Pale Ale DME and have 2 oz Cascade Pellet Hops. So when my water is boiled, I put in 1.5 oz of the hops, then with 25 minutes left turn off the boil, and mix in my DME, then with a minute or two left put the remainder of hops. Is this right? If not what do you suggest?

How much extract are you starting the boil with? Is this a kit with a can of extract plus extra DME? How much liquid are you boiling?

It's 6 lbs of DME, 3 lb of plain coopers light and 3 lb of muntons amber. No liquid. The instructions say to put in all the DME 35 minutes into the boil, which didn't sound right to me, so I wanted to double check.

You want to start the boil with some extract, otherwise you're just boiling water and hops. I'd probably do half the DME at the start (maybe the amber?) and the other half with 10-15 minutes remaining.

Back