550 yeast situation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julerastikis

Reaction score
Just brewed a Belgian Strong or Triple using 550 yeast. Started yeast ( 800 ml ).
OG of wort recipe was 1.085. After 1 day SG was 1.045 and air lock was inactive. Roused yeast for 5 seconds ( oxygen aeration system ) and fermentation started in 15 minutes. Day 2 air lock was inactive and SG was 1.025. This beer needs to get down to at least 1.015. Will it get there by letting it go or what actions do I need to take to get it there?

That seems like a small starter for such a big beer. I'd have gone bigger than that but it should finish if you leave it.

Check your temp, the 550 gets close to terminal gravity quite quickly. I would raise the temp and leave it be for another 10 days.

I was amazed how quickly it dropped to 1.025 ( less than 2 days ). It's resting peacefully on yeast now as you've indicated. Thanks for the advice!

Latest posts

Back