Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great Divide Colette. I understand it is most likely a well made beer, but that blend of yeast they use gives you both Belgian funk AND bubblegum, which ends with a melody of "already chewed bubblegum" mixed with something like B.O., I couldn't even finish a bottle. Tried it a couple of times, same result again, and again.

Recently stopped by the Dillon Dam Brewery & ordered a sampler. Oktoberfest was great. The Lite Lager was seriously ladened with diacetyl. Thought about asking the waitress if I could have a slice of toast with my butter. Left that glass full & finished the rest.

Flying Dog Brewery - Gonzo Imperial Porter

i like dark beers. stouts and porters are my favorite. but this was your typical over the top hop bomb masquerading as a porter.

Not sure if you consider this a commercial beer, but one night I was at a bar across from Wrigley Field and the bar tender suggested a beer they had on tap that supposedly was brewed by Two Brothers exclusively for their bar. My friend and I both got it and agreed that it tasted like it someone dropped a burnt cigarette in the keg. Another friend later stumbled into the bar much drunker than we were and I told him he could have it and he began chugging it until he got about half of it down and stopped and asked what the hell we did to it.

Wait, what are the rules?

I think steel reserve really hurt me the most out of any commercial beer.

If you're talking about great expectations...

Then it would definitely be Great Basin in Reno's "blister in the rye"

I think i had two different beers...one blister in the rye was awesome on monday. The one i had friday night tasted like spoiled bud light.

Raison D'Etra. God it took all I had to choke down all 6 of em. I would rather drink BL lime than that again.

Really? I love that beer, and pretty much anything DFH makes. Granted, I don't think I could drink more than one Raison D'Etra, since it really thick and heavy, but I dig the flavors. Kind of like creme brulee with raisin mixed in. To each his own I guess.

Worst overall for me was a Budweiser that I made the mistake of drinking from a bottle, which meant I actually smelled the stuff and couldn't chug it easily. Ugh, almost lost my pizza downing that one.

Worst attempt at a good beer was Shocktop Wheat, also by Bud. I ordered one at a restaurant, not knowing it was happy hour, and they brought me two pints of it. I couldn't finish one.

I'm kinda a picky drinker and I haven't been drinking too long, but the worst beer I ever got was a Belgian beer here in Japan. I don't remember the name of it, but it was a small black bottle, about 4 or 5% alcohol.

I bought it because it was close dated for expiration and marked down and I figured I would give it a try.

I found out very quickly I do NOT like sugar added to my beer (or at least so much that it tastes sweet). It was only an 8oz bottle and I tried my damnedest to drink it but ended up dumping half of it down the drain.

Other than that, fairly good drinking experiences for me!

Corona light or regular is the only beer that I have ever had that I just can't drink. I have had some really bad beers that I didn't like at all but I am at least able to finish them, except for corona.

Spring Gose by Cascade Brewing is one of the worst. Chamomile, lavender and lemon peel make this beer seem like a screwup that they couldn't bear to dump down the drain. My friend got a sample and when the bartender poured the glass he said "Good luck".

Spring Gose by Cascade Brewing is one of the worst. Chamomile, lavender and lemon peel make this beer seem like a screwup that they couldn't bear to dump down the drain. My friend got a sample and when the bartender poured the glass he said "Good luck".

Wow, that does not sound good at all. Either sounds like perfume or tea.

As part of a build your own 6 pack I tried Shiner Smokehaus. Smoked with lots of mesquite therefore tastes a lot like bacon, sadly not in a good way.

:off: Lukas in South Denver lets you build your own 6 pack.

Alaskan Brewing Co "Winter" - :( - opened one last night, took a sip, and threw the rest of it out. Big time sucky taste, for me anyhow. Brewed with Spruce tips - now I know that I don't like spruce beer at least, so the trees in my yard are safe.

Wailua Wheat Ale without a doubt. And I've had Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat and Four Lokos and at least half of the well known "worst" beers listed here. It was the only beer I have not been able to finish.

found a new WORST this weekend: Boddington's Pub Ale. tastes like nasty polluted water. i gagged when i tasted it, and after 3 or 4 real beers, i almost blew my guts when i tried another drink

Budweiser 'American Ale'. Not that I expected anything great - the only reason I tried it was curiosity - but this swill drastically fell short of already lowered expectations. It tasted flat, heavily oxidized, and boring. Just terrible.

I actually enjoy regular 'bud' every now & then. But this.... uggh.

Blue Moon's Fall Harvest. No Pumpkin flavor, and lacks any "good" taste. Awfull.

Wow, I must either like crappy micros or get better examples of them. I think that Kilt Lifter is a great beer, granted it's pretty high in ABV, so that may be why I like it... :)

And Lunar Ale is good. On tap. Bottles of it are weird. IMO.

The commercials are not all that bad. Have to have something to drink at sporting events right? That said, I don't know what is going on in Boston but it might need to reel it in a little with the "experimenting" or are they a 19 year old coed or something? Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is fruit flavored poison. Never been able to finish one.

Iron City...
Anything from Erie Brewing Company...
+1 on almost anyhting from Sam Adams....
My two new most hated beers: Southern Tier Creme Brulee Stout and Pumpking Ale..... WHAT THE $*&! ARE YOU PEOPLE DOING!?!?!?! What bothers me the most is the abject wastefulness of people brewing God-awful beers with commercial brewing equipment... Give ME the equipment (or most of you good people reading this thread) we will carry the torch! Ughhh... and does Chimay Red taste like refried beans to anyone else?

Abita Strawberry Harvest is infinitely worse than SA Cherry Wheat.

SA Double Bock sat in the fridge for several months before my brother (who will drink anything) put it out of its misery.

Also, while not terrible I have been very disappointed in SA Octoberfest on tap. Its good in the bottle. Weird.

Steel Reserve or Milwaukee's Best ICE

I vote Steel Reserve for worst hangover from a beer.

One of my employees was raving about the stuff so I bought a 12 pack... yes a 12 pack. That $#!t gave me about the worse hangover I've ever had... and I drink A LOT of beer. What I didn't finish I threw away the next day.:drunk:

my worst is normally my favourite Harvey’s best(amazing beer if you can get it) it must have been left to go off or came though pipes that had never been cleaned or more likely both it tasted like muddy sea water although now i think about it the pub was by the sea so maybe it was sea water

Worst beer the way it was supposed to taste: Schlitz Red Bull Malt Liquor

Worst beer taste: Heineken - skunky several times.... had it "fresh" in the Netherlands.... pretty good!

Ok, after a quick perusal , I seem to see a common offender A LOT - and it is one of the ones I hated.

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. Please Boston Brewing Company - kill this evil concoction...

Back