Bake Stale Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foodplusbeer

Reaction score
I've got about 11 lbs of malt that's been in my basement in a brown bag. It's not crunchy at all anymore, it's very soft and chewy. In short, it tastes stale. But could this be the result of being a humid basement? It's not moldy, doesn't smell funky.

If I were to toast the malt, or bake at a low temperature, could I save it? Stale bread always tastes better toasted..

I don't think it would make great base malt, but I think you could bake it and make specialty malts, the darker the better. That, or you could use it for starters, dog treats, bird seed or mulch.

I'm leaning towards the starter idea, thanks. But is it possible that it's just damp? Although not stored properly, it's uncrushed and only a few months old.

Make a half-batch of whatever. If it's good, feel free to use the other half. If it's terrible and you pour it out, I think a skilled lawyer could successfully argue that the batch should not count agaist your annual 100/200 Gallon homebrew limit.

Back