Final gravity/Stuck fermentation on stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vulcan7864

Reaction score
Alright, so i tried my hand at my first partial mash, and so far im very happy with the results. My OG was 1.039 and I used safale ale s-04 yeast, I have it in my basement fermenting at around 70-73 degrees. I started fermenting on Tuesday night/ or Wednesday morning at like 3 AM, and by 10 AM I was already bubbling away. But now my airlock stopped bubbling, and as far as I can see through my ale pail there is no more krausen. I am worried that i have a stuck fermentation, but I also don't know what to expect my FG to be because I did not follow a recipe... I really wanted to see if I could do it on my own. So my question is, should i be worried I have a stuck fermentation, or would it already be finished, and what should my FG be? And as always, thank you so much in advance for the help.

The rule of thumb is that a consistent gravity reading for a few days means a complete fermentation. Most stuck fermentation's happen with high gravity beers from what I've read.

What is the gravity of the wort right now? And as always, RDWHAHB. :mug:

You won't know until you take a gravity reading.
and...you're going to get a slew of airlock bubbling does not = fermentation posts... with good reason. As the post above suggests, the only way to know for sure is to take a gravity reading and most of us leave our brews alone for 2-3 weeks before taking a gravity reading. Also, 70s for fermentation is a little high. My first brew ever fermented around that and I noticed some fusels and esters for sure... They did die down after 2-3 months though but...

Alright, so i tried my hand at my first partial mash, and so far im very happy with the results. My OG was 1.039 and I used safale ale s-04 yeast, I have it in my basement fermenting at around 70-73 degrees. I started fermenting on Tuesday night/ or Wednesday morning at like 3 AM, and by 10 AM I was already bubbling away. But now my airlock stopped bubbling, and as far as I can see through my ale pail there is no more krausen. I am worried that i have a stuck fermentation, but I also don't know what to expect my FG to be because I did not follow a recipe... I really wanted to see if I could do it on my own. So my question is, should i be worried I have a stuck fermentation, or would it already be finished, and what should my FG be? And as always, thank you so much in advance for the help.

Wow, OG = 39 seems very low for a stout. And 70-73 sounds really high for fermenting. YOu should post recipe and describe what you did.

S04 can handle those temps easy enough.

39 starting gravity is low but not ridiculous. Guinness is only like 4.1% I think.

Latest posts

Back