building a 28 gallon mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munimula

Reaction score
So I picked up a large pot from a craiglist buy with some other brew gear.

400392_277123462393511_976089012_n.jpg

It's about 15" around and 3 feet tall. It fits 28 (i think) gallons when its filled about 1" below the pour spout. It's a old piece of equipment from a dairy and has various welds and fittings on it over the years it looks like. I'm gonna grind and polish the hell out of the inside so it's smooth as a babies bottom.

I'd like to turn it into a dedicated MT and want some suggestions on which features I should add. I've done a few batches of all grain with borrowed equipment so this will be my first dedicated piece. I am a machinist so holes and metal work are no problem and have several professional welders at my beck and call.

So far thinking ball valve, dip spout, false bottom.

maybe a sight glass?

I'd like to turn it into a dedicated MT and want some suggestions on which features I should add. I've done a few batches of all grain with borrowed equipment so this will be my first dedicated piece. I am a machinist so holes and metal work are no problem and have several professional welders at my beck and call.

So far thinking ball valve, dip spout, false bottom.

maybe a sight glass?

Very cool.
I'd say yes to the ball valve and false bottom.

Do you have a HLT? If so how big? Or will you direct fire this MLT to get to strike temp?

A mounted thermometer might be handy if you are heating the water prior to mashing.

What batch size are you planning?

OMO but if I had that and the skills you have available I'd install a ball valve and a built in stainless wort chiller. With it as my boil kettle all I'd need is a big coleman cooler for a mash tun ( $50 plus a few fittings ) and a huge fermenter...

bosco

Back