All grain brew with roasted nuts???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmooney33

Reaction score
hey all... got a quick question...
looking to do somewhat of a nut brown ale, but i'm not entirely sure how to go about the nut part...
grind em up and roast them and then put them in with the grains while they're steeping? will that really get much flavor our that?
this is my first time even thinking about doing something like this, so i really have no idea where to even start, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
thanks

To my knowledge, most nut browns don't involve any actual nuts.

I wouldn't recommend actually adding nuts. The oils will definitely kill your head retention, and I think I've read something about impacting mouthfeel (but this might be BS).

You can get nutty flavors from Victory malt or some crystal malts.

I agree about not adding the nuts, you may do better with some toasted malt instead, or other specialty grains that mimic the nut-like character.

Although a guy in my HBC brewed an Oak Aged Acorn Ale, using about 2 pounds of roasted acorns in the mash. He said he chopped them up pretty fine. It was an... interesting... brew, but I recall that it did have some head problems.

Topher has it right!! Those oils and fats will kill your head retention....but you could still have a tasty, drinkable beer....If you look on the bright side, you could pour any way you wanted and not have to worry about too much foam! lol

I've done nut brown ales with roasted chestnuts or hazel nuts. I added them in the last 15 minutes of the boil, it does add a nice nuance to the flavor, most of the nuttiness would be coming from the grain used, but like the others mentioned you will have no head to speak of, there will be some lacing but that is the extent of it. If you don't care about head retention go for it, it will still be a nice drinkable beer. Otherwise go with the suggestions given.

Or if you are willing to experiment and can get your hands on them and they may add a strong nuttiness with out damaging head retention is genmai (not genmai-cha), roasted brown rice, or mugicha, roasted barley, both used in Japan and korea to make teas that have very nutty flavors. Maybe at some in the last 5 minutes or so of the boil. Just an idea

thanks for the advice everyone....
what it is, is this...
a friend of mine owns a rather respectable nut company....
and he's done me several favors in the past, and i was hoping to try and incorporate some of his product into a "thank you brew" for him
i'm almost wondering if peanut shells in the mash would add something...
i know it won't add a distinctive nut "flavor"
but i'm wondering if it may add some essence... or something...

Kiln-Amber malt adds a nice toasted/nutty flavor. Also the brewery down here in MS uses roasted pecans in their mash for their flagship beer "Southern Pecan."

I'd stay away from the peanut shells, they might add bitterness and astringency because of the tannins in them, plus they don't really taste like anything. Also it might make your beer undrinkable for anyone with a peanut allergy, if that's an issue.

Along side the head retention issues is the fact that nut oils do go rancid. I would expect the beer to take a turn for the worse somewhere down the line.

I once did a Reese Peanut Butter Double Chocolate Stout that used a great deal of peanut butter and it had a great head. I made sure that I mashed on the high end, around 154-156F and added a good percentage of oatmeal as well as wheat for extra protein to help head retention. I know that the peanut butter had a high level of protein but the difference I feel is that the proteins extracted in the mash are different than the protein in the peanut butter that was put into secondary. I also made sure that I left a great deal of the top oily beer behind. This beer was bottle conditioned and had a nice frothy head. The folks at the brewery I was working at at the time were laughing at me during the process but were stunded when they saw they head.

Back