Port

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bk0

Reaction score
I really love drinking port, especially nicely aged tawny port.

Does anybody have any experience making it? My understanding is you make 'green' not-totally-fermented red wine, add brandy to kill off fermentation and then bulk age in barrels to mellow and oxidize.

Clearly I can't make the brandy because it's illegal, but I could do the rest right?

I really love drinking port, especially nicely aged tawny port.

Does anybody have any experience making it? My understanding is you make 'green' not-totally-fermented red wine, add brandy to kill off fermentation and then bulk age in barrels to mellow and oxidize.

Clearly I can't make the brandy because it's illegal, but I could do the rest right?

Port Is fermented to about 4% ABV then the fermentation is halted with the addition of "Neutral Grape Spirits" Neutral Grape spirits is about 80% ABV brandy. Like the Everclear of brandy and you wont find it in stores. What you could try doing is get the Alcohol as close to 19-20% as possible then sweeten with sugar. If you wish to add brandy I would add the "White"(Clear) Brandy. Also I think It would be near immposible to get Port Grapes. Those would be Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca and Tinto Cao. You can make a nice port style from any grape that has a high sugar content though. The closest I have made to port is using Welches grape juice and sugar. Fermented out to a bone dry 17% abv and then added sugar to backsweeten. Turned out sweet and strong

Hmmm. If I was going to do this I would want to do it as close to the traditional way as possible.

It sounds like the hardest part would be getting the port grapes. Maybe I could do some research (I know nohing about grapes) and get some decent sweet red wine grapes/juice. I probably could substitute Everclear for the 'neutral grape spirits'. After fermenting to 4%, rack it to an oak barrel and let it age for a solid two years.

Thanks for the info!

Hmmm. If I was going to do this I would want to do it as close to the traditional way as possible.

It sounds like the hardest part would be getting the port grapes. Maybe I could do some research (I know nohing about grapes) and get some decent sweet red wine grapes/juice. I probably could substitute Everclear for the 'neutral grape spirits'. After fermenting to 4%, rack it to an oak barrel and let it age for a solid two years.

Thanks for the info!

These Videos about Grahams Port might be of interest to you as they talk about the grapes and the whiole process

Also Wine Expert makes a Decent Port kit I hear If you'd like to do that. I think it would be your best bet. Personally I think its just too hard to try and make a true Duro style port especially a Tawny. I too Love Duro Ports. My fav being Grahams brand. Six Grapes to be excact(Ruby port). Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back