Will This work? Electric Turkey Fryer from Wally World.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am testing my electric system for the first time today. I am pretty happy with the time taken from the wort out of the mash tun to the time it started to boil.
If you read previous posts, I got my hands on 2 electric turkey fryer for pretty cheap. They were on sale and I got both for 50$!
I modified the outer part to accommodate for the 2 heat element on the same kettle.
When I started heating the wort, it took about 25 to come to a full boil.
I am pretty impressed...and happy!
ForumRunner_20120401_124058.jpg

I'm not sure, but since my pots are wider than the stove top elements, I believe I have a faster heating this way.
The elements are directly in contact with the wort. Also, the elements run off 120volts.
Any way, my Blanche de Chamber clone is bubbling - can't wait to try it out :)

I've finally gotten the time to finish modding out the Cajun Electric Turkey Fryer I bought a couple months back.

I've posted updates and pictures over at my blog at http://diybrewery.com/2012/06/05/mini-biab-electric-turkey-fryer-modpart-2/

The last post covers interfacing with the thermistor and relay to control the heating element. I'm still writing up the posts on the LCD Display for the unit along with the web interface that allows you to enter in a mutli-step mash profile and watch a graph of the temperature during the mash.

Hope you guys find it useful.

Here are a couple pics of my system so far:

The modded system complete with new valves on a nice shiny new brew cart:
7890-system-its-new-stand-kettle-insulated-hooked-up-pump-ready-water-test.jpg

The control circuits and Netduino processor:
7887-control-circuits-breadboarded-out-connected-netduino-controller.jpg

An inside view of the kettle during a water test:
7891-inside-kettle-during-water-test-i-ended-up-using-90-degree-elbows-barbed-fittings-intake-recirculation-outlet.jpg

I'm still waiting on circuit boards to come back from fabrication so I can complete the control panel, once I get them in and assembled I'll post more photos of the system.

Sorry to dig up a 2 year old post, but I'm curious how this set up has been treating you. Are the controls working well? I'm planning on getting one under the tree and may decide to do some modding with an arduino, raspberry pi, or something similar.

Back