Trappist High Gravity: will casualties reduce effectiveness of next generation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PVH

Reaction score
Thought I would post my thread from yesterday with a bizarre title, since it got a middling number of views and no replies:

I found a couple threads on this but not quite enough info. Has anyone reused Wyeast Trappist HG / WLP 530 by normal yeast washing and repitching and found that its character diminishes? Is this a must-top-crop strain like the Weihenstephan 68?

This strain throws a hell of a lot of yeast out through the blowoff - I am concerned that without those guys I am going to end up with too clean a beer on the second pitch.

I have the Wyeast Trappist in the fridge now which is on its 6th generation....no difference as of yet. Bottling a Triple tomorrow made with the same yeast and brewing a Triple with 1214 on Sun.....1214 which is on its 5 generation.

Actually, the 1214 is the Chimay strain. I'm using the 3787 (Trappist High Gravity), which is the Westmalle. 3787 might behave like the 1214 does, but it would be nice to know.

I suppose I can just taste the second batch and find out for myself if there has been a big change. I doubt I would end up with a dud on the first re-pitch.

I've used it across a few generations too and haven't noticed much of a difference

Back