Adding spices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzbromp

Reaction score
I was going to add some dry spices to the secondary (nutmeg, cinnamon, all spice, etc). I figured I would just boil it in a little water for 5 minutes and then add it in. Is preboiling necessary?

I would. I don't add anything unless I am 100% sure it is sterile.

I was going to add some dry spices to the secondary (nutmeg, cinnamon, all spice, etc). I figured I would just boil it in a little water for 5 minutes and then add it in. Is preboiling necessary?

I would. I don't add anything unless I am 100% sure it is sterile.

I wouldn't. By boiling you will be boiling away the flavor and aroma character you're looking for. You can however pasteurize it if you are truly concerned. That will keep more flavor than boiling.

Hello, You can extract the flavors by soaking your spices in a cup of vodka for a day or two, then add that to your secondary, this is a fairly common way to add flavors to secondary's.

Cheers :mug:

I wouldn't. By boiling you will be boiling away the flavor and aroma character you're looking for. You can however pasteurize it if you are truly concerned. That will keep more flavor than boiling.

How would you recomend pasturizing?

How would you recomend pasturizing?

You could heat the spices with water to the range of 160-180 for around 15-20 minutes.

Or you could make a tea like Wile suggested. Use cheap vodka to soak your spices in for a few days, then add that concoction to your secondary. The very high alcohol will kill most bacteria and wild fungi. This would be the easiest way and will add the most flavor (think of the alcohol as a better solvent than water). Lots of people do this for vanilla beans, but it would work with most spices and flavorings.

Back