Pocket Infrared Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't used that one, but I did borrow an IR thermometer from my lab once to test it out. Bottom line is it doesn't work well for brewing operations!

Main problem with using this for something like the mash is that the reading you get really depends on where you point the damn thing. The foam will have a different reading to the liquid. Hit a bit of grain and it will be different again. Likewise, for measuring the cooling wort, it really just doesn't do well. If your pot is shiny, it will give you different readings. Foam will change things too again... I found it totally unreliable, and went back to a normal digital probe.

I use one all the time . . . . for baking, reading the temps of the pizza stone, etc. Limited brewery use as poster above stated. You can read the temps off the outside of plastic fermenters and some metal ones and be fairly accurate.

Have one, love it, extremely usefule, BUT as stated above it does have limitations. I used it as an aditional tool to take temps. I actually figured out with it that one of my other thermometers was off by 20 degrees. My suggestion, use it in conjunction with addtional thermometers as an extra check. I use mine to check mash surface temperaturs, it does have issues with steam.

I have one that I use for just about everything. Main uses are automotive diagnostics and checking the temp on frying oil (one less thing to clean!).

I use it to double check ferm temps (in addition to a standard stick-on), it makes it easy to check the temp of the surface where the fermenter is (basement floor, etc). I can also keep a cup of water next to the primary to check the ambient temp vs wort temp.

Have yet to brew AG, but I have found that in general it is extremely accurate and consistent. If you keep a steady 6-8" from the surface, temps are always within a degree of all the other thermometers.

Back