Did I cause any problems with my cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc_in_wv

Reaction score
I am making my second batch of cider now. The first batch was about 10 years ago and was very good.

I started making 2 weeks ago by squeezing out about 1 gal of cider. I set the batch in an area that stays between 60 and 70 degrees. I intended to finish the squeezing the next evening but things prevented it. Anyway 6 days later I finished up.

Since I had some apples I picked up from my yard for the last of the squeezing, I took my cider and heated it to 160* for 10 min. I covered the pot with a clean towel and let it cool to about 80*. I moved the cider to a 5 gal plastic bucket and added champain yeast. Again I covered it with a towel and then laid the bucket lid over it to keep things out. After a day the froth buildup quit but there is still a good amount of yeast action. I tasted the mix Friday (5 days) and it has a good sweet flavor. (I was not able to get the crab apples I wanted to put in.) I have been able to keep the room temp between 63* and 70*

Here are my concerns
1 The cider set for 6 days from the first batch of juice pressed and had started to ferment from the natural yeast. Then I added the rest of the juice and pasturized it. Do you think I killed all of the harmful bacteria?

2. Is it too late to add some crab apple juice or something like lemon of lime juice to take out some of the sweetness?

1. You should be fine
2. If you're going to use a secondary you could add the juice or whatever else you want then.

Pasteurizing it should have killed all the wild yeast, and even if it didn't, the yeast you added would overtake them easily.

Back