Brewing Procedure Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwain

Reaction score
O.K., I just started AG a few batches ago. I’m brewing a full sail amber clone. My idea is to become proficient enough to be able to repeat the results each time. This is a long post but I wanted to be thorough. All comments/concerns are welcome. Thanks – Dwain
Here’s my recipe:
Style: American Amber Ale
Type: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated Color: 15.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 27.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Great Western 2 Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 87.80 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 9.76 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.44 %
1.00 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] (60 min) Hops 18.8 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 8.6 IBU
.50 oz Mt. Hood [6.00%] (End) Hops 18.8 IBU
.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (End) Hops 8.6 IBU
1 Pkgs. Safale – 05 Dry Ale Yeast

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10.25 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 12.81 qt of water at 165.9F 154.0F

I have been using 1 1/3 qt. of water per pound of grain for strike water. I heat it up to ~168F and dough in, the mash water temp. goes to 158F. I have been recircing the mash water during the mash step and maintaining the temp. between 150F and 160F. After 90 min(stirring during the 90 min.), I heat the mash water up to 168F for 10 min. and pump the mash water to the boil kettle. I then add 2 qt. of 168F water/lb. of grain from the HLT to the grains, stir and recirc. until there are no solids in the recirc. Next, I pump enough of the sparge water over to the boil kettle to make up the seven gallons for the boil. It doesn’t normally require all of the sparge water that I put on the grain to make up the 7 gal. Boil very hard for 30 min., to reduce the wort in order to end up with 5 gal. (recipe calls for 5.5 gal. but I use 5 gal.) and follow hop (pelletized) schedule. I chill the wort down to with a CFC and IM combination to ~68F in 10 min. and pitch the yeast. I put the fermentor (7.5 gal keg) in my ale room and keep the temp. in there from 65F and 70F.
Here are my questions:
Are my temps O.K?
Do I need to heat the mash to 168F for mash out?
Am I adding too much sparge water to my grains?

Heating to 168 or so for mash out has its benefits, but, depending on your equipment, it is not usually necessary. On my terrible equipment I lauter OK without needing to raise the temperature.

Latest posts

Back