Cracked bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christian

Reaction score
I bottled an Imperial Stout last night. This morning I noticed that one of the bottles had a hairline crack on the inside of the bottle near the top (i think i may have pushed down to hard when capping). It is a small hairline crack and only on the inside of the bottle, it does not go all the way through. Will the pressure of carbing blow the top? Should i transfer to another bottle? If i transfer to another bottle will that effect the carbing of that bottle?

if it were me I would pop the top carefully, pour the beer down the drain, throw away the bottle and just live with the fact that I was one bottle down on my stout.

if it were me I would pop the top carefully, pour the beer down the drain, throw away the bottle and just live with the fact that I was one bottle down on my stout.

Same here. But if you did want to keep it, you could always put it in a box with a lid so if it does blow, you don't have a mess!

the pressure will likely widen the crack until the bottle fails.

I'd just dump it and toss the bottle.

I like experiments....hence the reason why i got into homebrewing in the first place...so i'm just going to keep the beer in the bottle and keep it away from the other bottles and see what happens.

The crack is not big enough (for now) to cause any shards of glass in the beer but i most likely wont drink it still. No beer is worth a trip to the emergency room, not when i have gallons and gallons of more beer. I just want to see if it explodes or cracks further from the pressure build up.

Latest posts

Back