Whats the worst beer youve ever made?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivan Lendl

Reaction score
i made mine back in september, it was an extract/specialty grains recipe i modified from 'brew your own real british ale'

7.25 lbs. lme
13 oz. crystal 40L
5.5 oz. flaked wheat
2.5 oz. black malt
1 oz. challenger (60 min.)
.5 oz. fuggles (60 min.)
.5 oz. fuggles (15 min.)

london ale yeast
.5 tsp. gypsum

1 c. molasses (priming)

the molasses is what made it un-drinkable for me...it has a coyingly, sickly sweet taste i dont like. Ive given most of it away and everyone else seems to like it, so i guess its not a total waste.

My first batch. It was a Coopers Lager kit with 2.2 pounds of corn sugar, topped up to 6 gallons. It's drinkable but not my favorite. I'm saving it for the weak hearted and any ladies who might want something similar to BMC....

My first batch: "The Brew Sack" and then I'd say the ginger beer I made using candied ginger. Should have made the trip and gotten fresh.

That's not counting the three batches that were sick in one way or another.

We can only pick 1? :D

I made an extract vanilla stout that tasted like jet fuel. It sucked. It was my second batch.

I also made an oatmeal stout (AG) that was so acrid it was undrinkable. Since then I've figured out it was my water, so my next stout should be better.

Otherwise, I've really gotten quite lucky.

I'm brewing some Hefe right now...which I hope won't fall into this category. My worst to date was a (supposed) wheat beer. I used a Mr. beer can of hop flavored beer mix and added to it some dark unhopped malt extract (that was when I knew even less than I currently do about brewing and beer styles!). I don't think I gave it enough time to ferment. I took it to the homebrew store to get advice from the guys who work there. It foamed all over the place and tasted a bit like burnt sugar. They were very polite, however...

my first one was a canned kit with the 2 lbs of dextrose.
i knew nothing about home brewing and just figgered the only reason to rack to secondary was to get more air into the beer so i made sure i syphoned from the kitchen table to the bucket with as much splashing as possible.

oh yeh - the next batch i learned to put water in the airlock(duh!!)

My first attempt at a brown ale. I made the mistake of following a recipe out of Papazian's book. His book is a wealth of information but he has an affinity for roasted malts that I do not share. My brown ale tasted like coffee-blech!:eek:

my first beer was a no-boil pre-hopped stout kit with a pound or 2 of table sugar added. very thin, weird tasting... i called it 8-Ball Stout, because it was black and not very good....unless you had already consumed 7 other beers.

Rubber Stopper Amber Ale.

When I put it in the secondary and tried to put the airlock on it, I pushed the stopper in by mistake. I thought that maybe it would not be a problem if the stopper was foodgrade and I also was worried that if I tried to fish it out I could run the risk of infecting the beer. Two weeks later when I bottled it, the stopper smelled very strongly of beer, but the beer tasted vaguely of rubber stopper! I've been drinking it anyway, and hoping that with age perhaps the taste will go away.

I haven't been able to really get a good St. Pats beer. My first try was a irish stout. The first beer I ever dumped, it was sickly sweet and didn't carb. Nothing is worse than a sweet flat black beer.

The third or fourth beer I made was I believe a John Bull dark hopped LME with 3 pounds of LDME added. I don't know what I did but it was awful. I kept it in bottles for about a year before dumping what was left which was about 48 bottles. I'm sure that John Bull extract was good stuff. I just did something to ruin it.

My worst brew dates to my Mr. Beer days....I wanted to make their "Cherry Bomb Ale." The recipe called for honey, so I doubled so I spike the alcohol levels and brag. I spiked it alright and never could drink the stuff. Same story with a Clove Ale I concocted from my Mr. Beer days. I bet I put a 2 Tablespoons of crushed clove when it called for something like a half teaspoon....poured it out, too.

Not that Mr. Beer is great beer, but when you screw those recipes up, you'll REALLY screw up.

Now, I'm on to screwin' up all-grain batches, so we never quit when we're ahead. My all-grain batches are still aging/conditioning.

I drank Hefe Weizen's in Germany for nine years!:D

Whenever I went to the men's room they came out as BMC's, Corona's and PBR's!:drunk: :drunk:

Those are the worse beers I ever produced (but I never drank any of it so it's just a guess).:D

I was in high school in 1952. Just like today you had to be 21 to buy beer. There were no LHBS at that time. There was a product called Blue Ribbon Malt (nothing to do with Pabst Blue Ribbon) that you could buy at a the grocery store. This was a 5 lb can of malt extract as I recall. Anyway we put warm water in a canning cooker added a couple of bakers yeast cakes and let it do it's thing. We knew nothing about hops. After a few days we bottled it just as we today. This was the most god awful tasting beer you can imagine but I would give you a buzz.

Recently I did a little research on Blue Ribbon Malt. This product was sold during prohibition with a complete recipe for making beer. Then they stated that it was illrgal to use this recipe.

I made a braggot and I put in four times as much hazelnut flavoring as I should of. The smell alone made me want to vomit

I made an amber ale a while ago that I couldnt dring without getting a headache, but other people said it was the best I had made so far. It did get a little better with age, but I still dont have the stomach for it.

ablrbrau, was that the Dithyrambic roasted brown ale? I was not too impressed with that batch either.

-magno

sause said:
I haven't been able to really get a good St. Pats beer. My first try was a irish stout. The first beer I ever dumped, it was sickly sweet and didn't carb. Nothing is worse than a sweet flat black beer.

I had the exact same experience with a st. patty's stout. I was all pumped to try this stout on the 17th...and, just like your's, it was corn sugar tastin sweet and no carb. Gees.

a year or so ago i made an extract/grain stout.... i think i used waaaaay too many specialty grains, and too much hops.

it was harsh, harsh, harsh, but very alcoholic. even after six months in the bottle, it still tasted like crap. i gave it to my neighbor who loved it, and he gave me 'whole leaf hops' ;)

Back