Cascade hops as an ornamental? Questions..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixtyfiveblue

Reaction score
Can the plant be grown in a hanging basket and live? This is what I want to do with it. I like the way it looks, it is a lovely plant really. Will it live in a hanging basket indoors by a very bright window? I am not growing it for brewing. I don't drink alcohol.

Can Cascade hops be grown in full shade?
It CAN be container grown.

Will it LIVE in full shade?

Can it be treated as a tropical? It is a rhizome plant.
Does it HAVE to have a winter and period of dormancy?

I am just growing it for the aesthetics of the plant and have no intention on consuming any part of it. I have my reasons.

Thanks.

So, let's see if I get your question... You want to grow hops indoors, in a small hanging basket, near a bright window?

Here are the issues that you will likely encounter:
  • It will consume all of the nutrients in the soil quickly. You will need to feed it regularly.
  • Once established, it will require daily water.
  • It's also unlikely to ever develop cones.

With that in mind, you may want to consider an indoor, ornamental plant with similar foliage. However, as you say, you have your reasons. I say give it a try. What do You have to lose?

Thanks! That really made my day. Thanks for the response. I am going to try it. If it works, I'll update. The total price was 7.99usd for the already started hop plant with rhizome. I was able to find one on amazon for this project. So, I will only be out eight dollars if it dies. I figure miracle grow once a week will help it stay alive. Cones really give it that look I am after, but if it doesn't sprout cones the first few years, or ever, that is fine. The bines and leaves have aesthetic appeal. Will it sprout from old wood or only from rhizome?

Thanks! That really made my day. Thanks for the response. I am going to try it. If it works, I'll update. The total price was 7.99usd for the already started hop plant with rhizome. I was able to find one on amazon for this project. So, I will only be out eight dollars if it dies. I figure miracle grow once a week will help it stay alive. Cones really give it that look I am after, but if it doesn't sprout cones the first few years, or ever, that is fine. The bines and leaves have aesthetic appeal. Will it sprout from old wood or only from rhizome?

Just be aware that if for some reason it does flower and produce hop cones, they are poisonous to dogs. Don't want anyone's furry friend to end up at the vet!

Thanks. I appreciate that. I'll let the guests know. Personally I do not have dogs. I have a couple of cats who will try and eat anything planted in a pot. The aspca listed the plant as poisonous to dogs, it gives them hypothermia, but not poisonous to cats.. The pot will be high up on top of a cabinet for a few months, the cats cannot jump on top of, just in case. Then it will hang directly in front of the window once I see the plant is going to actually live indoors. I might have to wind up putting the plant outside, but I am hoping I don't. If it can live where the sweet potato vine and tradescantia thrive then it can stay inside. Plants now, in the plural, I just picked up a newport and a California cluster to go with the cascade so the pot would be full enough of foliage coming out in a bine to look nice. I may of overdone it a bit. :) I'll just have to see as the growing season progresses. I don't think it has sunk in good yet just how huge these bines get and how large the leaves are.

I did this last year with seedling... the fun started when I had to cut the main bine. Side arms grow everywhere, very messy ! But fun ! :)

I had to cut them almost to the "ground level" (inside the pot) in order to be able to move them outside.

thumb2_img_1770-65022.jpg

Those look great! I see that indoor growing can be done. Thanks for posting the pic. That is about the window space size I will be working with also. This should be a fun summer growing season.

Latest posts

Back