ISO Christmas Goody Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pointcity-homebrew

Crafting openers 1 at a time
Reaction score
I need some Christmas treat recipes. I usually do the white chocolate ritz and a few other things. Figured I'd reach out to the community and see if I could try something new this year.

Saw a video on FB. Take some Chocolate Chip cookie dough tubes and cut them into chunks. Wrap two of those around a Ferrero Roche (or whatever) and place in cupcake pan. Bake at like 360 until done. Dust with powdered sugar.

Not sweet, but these have been well-received every time I've made them. I made a double batch and bagged them for gifts to coworkers this year.

Bacon Maple Peanuts

1/2 cup pure maple syrup
3 cups unsalted roasted peanuts (1 pound)
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon thyme leaves, minced
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3/4 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
3 thick slices of bacon (3 ounces)
1 tablespoon kosher salt

Preheat the oven to 325°. In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain, then finely chop.
In a medium bowl, mix the thyme, salt, Old Bay, cayenne and dry mustard. Add the peanuts, maple syrup and bacon and toss until the peanuts are evenly coated. Scrape the nuts onto a parchment paper–lined baking sheet and roast for about 30 minutes, stirring once, until the maple syrup has thickened. Let the peanuts cool completely, stirring frequently to break up any large clumps. Transfer the peanuts to glass jars or a large bowl and serve.

MAKE AHEAD The peanuts can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days.

Saw a video on FB. Take some Chocolate Chip cookie dough tubes and cut them into chunks. Wrap two of those around a Ferrero Roche (or whatever) and place in cupcake pan. Bake at like 360 until done. Dust with powdered sugar.

Sounds good, just when you thought those little chocolate covered hazelnuts couldn't get any better.

It's rather involved, but my grandmother used to make Kieflies at Christmastime.
http://recreatinghappiness.com/dess...-polish-crescent-cookies-with-walnut-filling/
Something much easier is pitted dates, stuffed with a pecan & rolled in sugar.
Regards, GF.

My old boss, he retired a year ago at the age of 83, is polish. I will attempt to make a batch and share with him.

Not sweet, but these have been well-received every time I've made them. I made a double batch and bagged them for gifts to coworkers this year.

Bacon Maple Peanuts

1/2 cup pure maple syrup
3 cups unsalted roasted peanuts (1 pound)
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon thyme leaves, minced
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3/4 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
3 thick slices of bacon (3 ounces)
1 tablespoon kosher salt

Preheat the oven to 325°. In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain, then finely chop.
In a medium bowl, mix the thyme, salt, Old Bay, cayenne and dry mustard. Add the peanuts, maple syrup and bacon and toss until the peanuts are evenly coated. Scrape the nuts onto a parchment paper–lined baking sheet and roast for about 30 minutes, stirring once, until the maple syrup has thickened. Let the peanuts cool completely, stirring frequently to break up any large clumps. Transfer the peanuts to glass jars or a large bowl and serve.

MAKE AHEAD The peanuts can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days.

These sound awesome, I may end up keeping these on hand at all times.

Thanks you guys. Happy holidays.

Hand-made candies are always appreciated. My family makes butter-mints from scratch. Thing is, they take a few days to cream-out, so it might be a little late to start them now. We are actually making a few batches today, but these are for the people we won't be seeing until after Christmas, so they will have creamed by then.

Here's an interesting take on fruitcake. It's not overly sweet, and it has chocolate chips in it. :) The recipe says not to use Turkish apricots, but that's all I can find and they work just fine. And the "fruitcake fruit" is the cheap candied fruit mix that has way too much citrus peel for regular fruitcake.

I also have a traditional fruitcake recipe if you want it.

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Re: Recipe Request (non tradional fruitcake)
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 21:00:56 -0400
Message-ID: <[email protected]>

Bishop's Bread (Bischofsbrot)

l cup boiling water [I use orange juice for extra flavor]
l cup raisins
l ounce butter
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup sugar [I use less, because the fruits are sweet]
3 large eggs
l cup chopped dried California apricots (Turkish apricots do not have the same flavor or tartness)
l cup fruitcake fruit or chopped dried fruit (apples, prunes, peaches, pineapple, cherries, cranberries, etc)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips

Place raisins and butter into bowl and pour boiling water over it. Put aside to soak.

In large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda and sugar. Stir to combine. Beat the eggs slightly and add to the flour mixture. It will be very dry. Add the raisins with the water. Stir until well combined. Add all the other ingredients.

Grease two 8" x 4" loaf pans with butter and dust with flour. Divide the batter between the two pans and bake in preheated 325 degree oven for about 1 hour, or until wooden toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Kolachi!

Hoppy's Hungry.jpg

My old boss, he retired a year ago at the age of 83, is polish. I will attempt to make a batch and share with him.

I just had a closer look at the 1st kieflies recipe at the link I posted & realized that it's a gluten free recipe. I know for a fact that my grandmother never even heard of the term "gluten free," nor would she have ever heard of xanthan gum. Unless you're set on making the gluten free recipe, I'd suggest you go with this one instead.
http://hubpages.com/food/How-to-make-homemade-kieflies
I think it's much closer to what my grandmother made. Sorry for any confusion.
Regards, GF.

Back