Curse of 1.020 strikes! (and hopefully fixed)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDB

Reaction score
So I brewed a dry Irish stout as batch number 2 (still waiting on bottles to carb and condition on batch number 1, batch number 3 finished in the ferment but letting it sit for a bit and batch number 4 coming up this weekend -- I love how I won't know how I did to correct mistakes until I've already got 4 batches rolling!) I got stuck at 1.020, found the "Curse of 1.020" thread and read it 3 times. Excellent thread. After taking it all in I went to my LHB guy and discussed options of bottling, Amalyze Enzyme, Beano and some wine yeast with nutrient. He convinced me on the wine yeast with nutrient -- said either it will get me to FG in a few days and if it doesn't bottle bombs should not be an issue -- so I dumped it in tonight. FG is supposed to be 1.012-14, assuming I hit that in the next two days (fingers crossed) can I/should I bottle it this weekend? Or should I give it another week to sit in the fermenter or a secondary? In other words, if your fermentation gets stuck and you unstick it, after hitting FG is there a good reason to wait more? It's been in the fermenter for 3 1/2 weeks this weekend will be 4 (been stuck for week and a half while I tried raising temps and swirls), so I'm just wondering if more time on the yeast cake, or alternatively a secondary will give an appreciable improvement to the beer? The beer actually tastes pretty good right now, I'd like it a little dryer which I'm asuming FG will do. Thanks Beer Brethren!

What temp are you at? I would suggest getting it up into the high 60s to see if you can't get the help the yeast finish up.

Latest posts

Back