Octoberfest question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHLaOK

Reaction score
Having fermentation issues. O.G was perfect, 1.050. Pitched and aero rated.....and 48 hours later very slow lethargic fermentation. Beer is fermenting in basement at 61* and gravity seems nearly stationary. Considering rep itching and racking. Suggestions. Thanks

Are you using a lager yeast? If so, you're fermenting too high (should be ~50*F). If not, you're probably fermenting too cool.

A true lager with lager yeast should ferment very slowly.

Thanks, for the insight. I think I cooked my yeast when I sprinkled it into the wort/water mixture (is it beer at that point). In any case, at that point, the water was 80*, lagers don't like that....rookie mistake. I ended up repitichng the beer and adding new year, then I racked it. Hopefully I have not introduced and contamination. I think I may be back on track again, but I'll let you know. Thanks......Drink-up!!!:eek:

Cooling your wort down to proper temps (~70*F for an ale, ~50*F for a lager) before pitching the yeast is one of the most important steps in brewing.

The 80*F you mentioned shouldn't kill the yeast, however they'd probably produce some pretty estery off flavors.

P.S. - this thread should probably be moved to the yeast and fermentation forum, not the announcements.

Thanks, new to brewing....hence the mistake. Hopefully all is well now. I re pitched and applied more yeast. I think it will still be ok. Yeast is now happy at 60*. I'd like it a little cooler...hopefully the fermentation process won't warm up the brew too much. If I understand lager yeast, it will not produce an "active" ferment hence I'm thinking less heat production during fermentation? I'll try to figure out how to move post to the fermentation thread. have an awesome day!

Back