drilling a pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joselastra

Reaction score
I have a what I believe is the 36qt stainless Bayou Classic pot. Is it worth drilling these and installing a thermometer? If so should I also install a kettlevalve?

Using it for a boil kettle, MLT, HLT combinations of these or what?

Any pot you are planning to use for a while is worth rigging up right. A thermo and ball valve is an asset on any pot, and these things can be moved forward to better pots if you upgrade.

Hard to answer the question for you, but if you stay in this you will always have use for these items.

I would agree with SKMO, with one more consideration. If you're on the fence I'd say try brewing without those items. A 36qt pot is porbably small enough to be able for the average person to move it without issue.

The main reason for having a valve is to drain the wort without having to move the pot. You can also attach other items to use it as a mash tun like a false bottom or mesh tube. The thermometers are nice to have items as well as level indicators. They're not really necessary, but it'll make your life easier. I find the 3" dial thermometers to be spot on accurate compared to the meat and floating varieties, and many of them can be adjusted/calibrated if needed.

I just installed a valve and thermo-sight on my Bayou classic 60Qt pot. Filled with 7gal+ it's a bear to move. More unwieldy than heavy, but the valve make it easy to transfer the wort. Now I just need to find a way to elevate my burner so I can drain straight into the fermenter after chilling.

PS- If you do drill the pot best to use some vasaline or WD-40 to lube. Vasaline has the extra benefit of containing the shavings and not running all over the place.

I third the above posters. I have a 62qt bayou classic, and id definitely prefer to let gravity (or a pump) move that liquid weight around for me via a ball valve. I picked up all of my fittings and a step drill bit from bargainfittings.com and used some thread cutting oil to keep things cool while drilling out the holes. Money well spent.

I have that same pot and have a valve and a thermometer/sight gauge on mine. Besides the "Cool" factor it gives the pot who wants to lift 5.5 gallons of wort to pour it into your carboy. Plus having both these items I feel cuts my brewing time down even if its only by a 1/2 hour a brew session x that by how many times you brew a year. Plus your back will also be thanking you.

sorry for the late repliesfellas, been battling acold here. I use it mainly for the boil. thanks for the input, looks like for my next brew im going to have a valve and a thermometer!!

Back