explain 1 10gal batch into two 5 gal buckets with different fermentation rates?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger9913

Reaction score
Brewed a 10gal APA batch and put it into two seperate ale pales. Each was cooled down to 68 degrees, and each had a gravity reading of 1.071. Skip ahead two days and one bucket is roaring to the point i've had to clean the air-lock 3 times and the other bucket is chugging along but not nearly to the degree as the other one. I did use two separate yeast vials of the same kind, and that's my thought as to why I have to separate fermentation levels going on.

Natures design. Chances are, that even if you had a huge starter from a single vial, the results would still be different.

Even Budweisre blends their beers to consistency bro.

Dude, yeasts are living creatures, they are bound by their own rhythms and needs, and conditions. When we are dealing with living creatures, there is a wild card factor in play. Just like with other animals, including humans. No two behave the same.

And you proved it!

You can split a batch in half put them in 2 identical carboys, and pitch equal amounts of yeast from the same starter...and have them act completely differently...for some reason on a subatomic level...think about it...yeasties are small...1 degree difference in temp to us, could be a 50 degree difference to them...one fermenter can be a couple degrees warmer because it's closer to a vent all the way across the room and the yeasties take off...

Someone, Grinder I think posted a pic once of 2 carboys touching each other, and one one of the carboys the krausen had formed only on the side that touched the other carboy...probably reacting to the heat of the first fermentation....but it was like symbiotic or something...

So it is best just to rdwhahb and trust that they know to what they are doing.

Yeasts are like teenagers, swmbos, and humans in general, they have their own individual way of doing things.

:mug:

Yeasts are like teenagers, swmbos, and humans in general, they have their own individual way of doing things.

:mug:

"its not what I want, its what we want" famous swmbo line.

Every time I split a batch I mix at least twice - gives pretty consistant results (you know minus the whole aging factor)

How close were the dates on the yeast vials?

IMO, yeast is very consistent, homebrewers aren't. If you REALLY give the yeast the same conditions in two different vessels, they will act almost identically. The problem for homebrewers is that we don't have the capability to measure and control all the factors that affect yeast performance to the level required to have the same fermentation profile every time.

Back