Thoughts input on yeast choice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piratwolf

Reaction score
Hey all my brewin amigos!

I'm ramping up for a series of brews during the holidays and would appreciate any thoughts you have on my series & yeast choice.

My ESB is just finishing up on Wyeast 1968 London ESB. It's a 10gal batch split b/w two 5-gal carboys. I plan to wash both cakes and re-use them as follows: Orfy's Mild-->Moose Drool-->RIS. I've not brewed any of these beers before nor used this yeast before, so even though the samples of my ESB taste great, I'm not completely confident of the choice.

My questions:
1. Do you think 1968 is a strong choice for these three? If not, which ones & why?
2. Is the yeast/ester presence strong enough when fermented around 65 that it'll make all three beers taste too similar in spite of the different styles?
3. Any general tips for using 1968 to it's best advantage?

Thank you!

Moose Drool calls for 002/1968 according to CYBI, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it for a mild even though Orfy's recipe uses Notty. A RIS should be ok, especially if you maybe shade a bit on the fermentable side.

The ester profile is pretty restrained at 65ºF in my experience. 68-70ºF is a bit more interesting. I haven't taken it above that temp.

Fuller's yeast is quite fast and very easy to work with. If you ferment in buckets, don't bother rinsing it; you can scoop it up with a sanitzed spoon like pudding. It's a great strain. If I could only ever brew with two strains, it would be one of them (after 2308).

I am drinking a Moose Drool like brew. A couple of tweaks but similar.

Like 944 said I just grabbed a couple of scoops from the bucket of a previous batch of ESB. Good choice for the MD.

I like 1968 a lot.

Excellent! Thanks for the experiences, that makes me feel a LOT better. I'd like to enter one or two of these in competition, so it's reassuring to hear such greatmstuff!

Latest posts

Back