Sweet Stout Left Hand Milk Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished brewing a batch of this beer and it's freaking tasty. However, I was thinking that I didn't want five gallons of the same beer so....

I bottled 2.5 gallons as is

1.5 gallons with cold brewed coffee.

1 gallon racked onto a vodka tincture of one vanilla bean and four ounces of toasted coconut flakes.

So far all is hella delicious.

Hey guys, major bone head move. I accidentally dry hopped this beer. I had this and a Citra ipa in the fermenters and found out today that I put about an ounce of Citra in 2.5g of the milk stout for 3 days. I'm real bummed....

Hey guys, major bone head move. I accidentally dry hopped this beer. I had this and a Citra ipa in the fermenters and found out today that I put about an ounce of Citra in 2.5g of the milk stout for 3 days. I'm real bummed....
bob.jpg

May not be an exact clone, but may not be bad. The old saying, "it'll still be beer" holds true.

I did a BIAB, no sparge. Split the recipe right down the middle.
I started out with 4 Gal of water, guessing that it might work out to 2.5 by the time I got ready to keg.
75 Minute mash started at 153, and ended at 148. I drained the bag and then let it rest in a strainer on top of a pot. After a little squeeze, and some time I dumped what was collected back into the boil.
I was a little off on my volume estimation and after the boil and ended up with 2 Gal at OG 1.073 in my carboy. I was really happy with that OG so decided not to mess with topping off and left well enough alone.

...I will do my best to update as things progress.

OK, it's been 12 days, and I couldn't stand it anymore. I took a hydrometer reading today and it was at 1.038
There has not been any apparent activity in there for about a week. Should I expect much more than that? The sample tastes pretty good. With a little carbonation and chilling I'm sure I'd be happy with it flavor-wise. But most FG's in this thread seem to be in the mid to upper 20s. I think the highest I've seen was 1.033.

Anyway, I'm going to test it again in about a week, if its the same I am going to go ahead and keg it up. I really can't wait to get this one on tap, as my scottish ale just blew, and everything else in the pipeline right now is test batches of stuff to please the BMC drinkers. :(

Okay. I brewed this a few days before Christmas and it has been sitting bottled in the corner of the computer room since then. I tried a couple of bottles early to see how the carbonation was coming and it liked a little back then. Couple of weeks is usually too early anyway.

Put a few in the fridge. And since I got snowed in today I made some labels for this and some dragon blood wine.

I'll tell you in a couple of days how it is.

(Although it was quite good when the carbonation level was a little low anyway)

LHMS label.jpg

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Left Hand Milk Stout
Style: Sweet Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.13 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 41.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.0 SRM) Grain 56.57 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8.08 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
12.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
10.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 5.05 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4.04 %
0.35 oz Magnum [12.10 %] (60 min) Hops 18.4 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 8.08 %
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 11.38 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 14.20 qt of water at 162.5 F 151.0 F

Notes:

The lactose was added with 10 minutes left in the boil.

Sorry if this question has been asked already but, I am curious as to why you set the mash profile for light body instead of full being that it is a stout? Thanks

WooHoo!!! I kegged this half batch in my 2.5 gal corney keg about 10 days ago, and couldn't stand the wait. I hit it with 30 psi, rocked the keg a little, and it is WONDERFUL!

The roasted barley comes through for about half of the flavor, the head is nicely colored, and I have to consciously decide to check for the sweetness. There is plenty of sweetness there, it just doesn't overpower anything.

I know I had a very high FG compared to most in this thread, but I am very happy with this brew. I will be brewing a full 5 gallons of this to take to my friends wedding. Hopefully more accurate thermometers during mashing will help out a little.

I am tipsy on milk stout right now, and I have to say it again. This stuff is GOOD.

I found this recipe in the "Clone Brews" book. I pulled a sample today after three weeks in primary...

YUP!! This is a new go-to beer I have to keep in the rotation now. Can't wait to bottle/keg tomorrow.

I brewed this on Christmas day to be ready fot St Patrick's day. I have to say I am not a huge stout fanatic but damn this is a tasty brew! I bought some of the real LHMS and didn't think too much about it. It was ok, but this stuff WOW. I am hooked on this recipe. My bubbles are bigger than some of the pics in this post but I am on straight co2 and no beergas. Thanks for posting this recipe!

Brewed up 10 gallons of this but added 1 lb coffee malt and 8 oz whole beans with 5 min left in the boil. Then added some cold brewed coffee to tge kegs. Best version I have made of this by far (I have made this about 5 times). Great coffee taste, a little bit of coffee aroma, it us like a coffee with a bit of milk sweetnesd. Mine finished at 1.018 and was perfect. Will definitely brew it this way again!

This recipe is one of the greatest finds on homebrew talk. I just made it for the 4th and 5th times. I've made a couple of extracts for variations. One is a New Zealand candy called Pineapple Lumps, which is chocolate covered pineapple, and the other is Cadbury Creme eggs. So I'm making a Cadbury Creme egg milk stout, and a pineapple chocolate milk stout using this as the base. Can't wait to find out what they taste like!

This recipe is one of the greatest finds on homebrew talk. I just made it for the 4th and 5th times. I've made a couple of extracts for variations. One is a New Zealand candy called Pineapple Lumps, which is chocolate covered pineapple, and the other is Cadbury Creme eggs. So I'm making a Cadbury Creme egg milk stout, and a pineapple chocolate milk stout using this as the base. Can't wait to find out what they taste like!

I definitely want to hear about the Cadbury Creme egg milk stout. That sounds wonderful. I've made this recipe four times as well. Great recipe!

Sounds like a great beer! Sooo, I had to brew it! In the fermentor now. Did not alter original recipe except I'll be adding 4 oz cocao nibs soaked in vodka after the fermentation slows. I'll report back...

I am fairly new to all grain recipes. I was wondering. If my system is very efficient, do I only adjust only the 2 row to give me the target OG? If I added sterile water after the boil to adjust for the target OG would I be just watering down the flavor?

Thanks

I am fairly new to all grain recipes. I was wondering. If my system is very efficient, do I only adjust only the 2 row to give me the target OG? If I added sterile water after the boil to adjust for the target OG would I be just watering down the flavor?

Thanks

I adjust only the base malt. Common sense dictates that this is incorrect, and that all grains should be reduced to maintain their original percentages, however I've done that in the past and didn't care for the results, which was a loss of overall flavor. I've found that reducing only the base malt maintains the flavor of the recipe. YMMV.

Adding top-off water to the fermenter is a perfectly valid method of decreasing OG. I do it occasionally, but usually just let it ride, unless I have both a high OG and less volume in the fermenter than I was aiming for.

Thanks LL. I get fairly high efficiencies. I watered it down to get the proper OG and I guess in the process watered down the flavor a bit. Live and learn. Thanks again.

I go 3 weeks in primary and then bottle. Plenty of head.

I have gone as short as 11 days from brew day to keg and it has been great.

So, I was thinking of brewing this, but it calls for two hop varieties (Magnum & East Kent Goldings) that I don't currently have on hand. What I do have is:

Cascade
Crystal
Centennial
Fuggles
Willamette
Chinook
Warrior

Anyone have any thoughts on which of those might make good substitutes in this recipe, or should I bite the bullet and buy the two varieties specified in the recipe?

I was leaning toward Fuggles for one, but wasn't sure what the other should be. I think I'm just gonna do it. I need to use up some if my current stock.

how much dextrose did u guys go with when you bottled ? (5gallons)
Not sure what would be best .. What amount worked nicely for u ?

So, I was thinking of brewing this, but it calls for two hop varieties (Magnum & East Kent Goldings) that I don't currently have on hand. What I do have is:

Cascade
Crystal
Centennial
Fuggles
Willamette
Chinook
Warrior

Anyone have any thoughts on which of those might make good substitutes in this recipe, or should I bite the bullet and buy the two varieties specified in the recipe?

Warrior for bitter and either fuggles or Willamette at 10min.

I don't like warrior (pretty much at all). The bittering is harsh and the aromatics are either straight grass or mild to nonexistent whenever I use it, even in post boil hopping and dry hopping.

I like willamette, centennial, cascade for bittering (you could use chinook but I love the aromatics so that's a waste for me). Crystal could be part of your late hop (up to 25%) with either fuggles alone or fuggles and willamette. I'd do at least 50% fuggles for the late hop no matter what you decide.

Made this beer a few times now it tastes great! But, I was wondering, what if I used lager yeast and fermented at lager temperatures? Any thoughts?

before bottling this i taated it and it tasted pretty good. let it bottle condition for 3 weeks and It was very roasty and didn't taste too great. tried one at week 4 and it tasted super tarte. does this beer get better with age or does the tarte taste indicate that I may have an infection ? when did u find it tastes best?

Sounds like it may be an infection. Just about everyone who has made this has said it has been great at every stage. I've made it 4 times, and it's always really great. It ages well too - in fact right before I read this I opened an 18 month old bottle.

before bottling this i taated it and it tasted pretty good. let it bottle condition for 3 weeks and It was very roasty and didn't taste too great. tried one at week 4 and it tasted super tarte. does this beer get better with age or does the tarte taste indicate that I may have an infection ? when did u find it tastes best?

Sounds infected, drink it fast. I've made this 14 - 15 times over the past 2 years and have never experienced a "tarte" taste.

I agree with the others that it sure sounds like it's infected. There definitely should be no "tarte" taste present in this brew.

Had the same thing happen with an IPA. Great at week 1, 2 was ok, 3 there's something wrong, tossed at 4. Had a kegorator mishap just after kegging I didn't notice until several days later.

yep . so tried one every week after this and the sour taste never went away. chalk it up to an infection like u guys said. such a bummer to dump 5 gallons of beer :(:(
I wanna make this again but it is 27-30 degrees celsius everyday right now and I'm wondering if that might be too hot to let it ferment at that temp
. thoughts ??

yep . so tried one every week after this and the sour taste never went away. chalk it up to an infection like u guys said. such a bummer to dump 5 gallons of beer :(:(
I wanna make this again but it is 27-30 degrees celsius everyday right now and I'm wondering if that might be too hot to let it ferment at that temp
. thoughts ??

Ya, build this super cheep temperature system. PM me if your interested. I can send basic instructions if needed. *Piano isn't necessary..😉*

To be honest what your describing isn't a temp issue. It's more a contamination problem.

View attachment 1436318392124.jpg

Getting ready to finish my 15th gallon soon. Good stuff. I add nibs to the secondary to make it a chocolate milk stout. Funny thing, sitting on the porch at night I find that I have to cover the glass or I'll end up drinking a moth or two. They love swimming in it! I'd have some in every glass if I didn't.....:p

I love this beer, I have a few bottles that are well over a year now and they are so good, I refuse to let people try them because I only have a few left!

Anyway I am going to be in a competition in the beginning of September and I am bringing my citra IPA to serve and I wanted to do something different, so I was thinking that I could do this recipe but add pumpkin and spices to it for a Pumpkin milk stout.

Anyone think that is a bad idea? And how much spices to add, I am sure that it will need more then your avg pumpkin beer because it is a stout.

Thanks

Back