Flat root beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter

Reaction score
I thought that while I wait for my beer to brew I'd get the kegerator set up with some root beer for the kids for fun.

I made the root beer per the recipe that came with the extract, but the stuff's just not carbonating. I have it hooked up now to my co2 and gave it a couple of days, but still nothing.

Was my yeast inactive? Should I repitch the yeast after I let things warm back up? Should I keep it attached to the co2 and hope it gets fizzy?

Thanks for all your great help and advice, guys (and girls).

Hunter

Either take it out of the kegger for a few days and let the yeast carbonate it (about a week) or leave it there and let the CO2 do the job (about a week). Don't forget, that if you are using CO2 you need about 25-30 psi in the kegger to get a good fizzy drink. Normal ale pressures don't cut it. I have a primary regulator outside the kegger set at 25 psi that runs to the soda water and the secondary regulators. The secondary regulators reduce the pressure for the ale & ciders.

Hunter said:
I thought that while I wait for my beer to brew I'd get the kegerator set up with some root beer for the kids for fun.

I made the root beer per the recipe that came with the extract, but the stuff's just not carbonating.

would you mind letting us know what extract you used and briefly describe the process for making a non-carbonated drink?

thanks

P.S. my kids would like some root beer also ;)

EDIT: i should have said non-alcoholic drink, not NON-CARBAONATED

I don't recall the brand, but it came in a small bottle containing about 2-3 oz. of root beer extract. I mixed it with about 4lbs sugar and some honey (on the advice of the guy at my homebrew store), pitched the yeast and put it to the keg instead of the bottles per the instructions. I let it sit for one week at room temperature (again, per the instructions) before hooking the keg to the co2, but the pressure release valve never indicated there was any pressure in the keg.

That extract was some pretty potent stuff! The whole house smelled like root beer when I opened it!

Hunter

Hunter said:
I don't recall the brand, but it came in a small bottle containing about 2-3 oz. of root beer extract. I mixed it with about 4lbs sugar and some honey (on the advice of the guy at my homebrew store), pitched the yeast and put it to the keg instead of the bottles per the instructions. I let it sit for one week at room temperature (again, per the instructions) before hooking the keg to the co2, but the pressure release valve never indicated there was any pressure in the keg.

That extract was some pretty potent stuff! The whole house smelled like root beer when I opened it!

Hunter

thanks for the reply

Hunter said:

Hunter

I tried it once and it never carbed in the bottles for me. I did everything right, I'm pretty sure. I must have had bad yeast or something.

Anyway, you're right about it being potent. I had to buy new hoses, because I couldn't get the smell out.

I tried that method once, and you use a LOT of sugar, and some malt-dextrin for a "creamier" root beer. I used champagne yeast to carb, and bottled it. It turned out okay, the kids had about half of them but then I left them in the garage instead of refrigerating them and they blew up. I didn't know about the refrigerating part. Anyhow, the root beer extract smells great, but tastes really bad out of the bottle:) , and for God's sake, don't spill ANY on a white t-shirt!

Back