My dog likes my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jetsona

Reaction score
Bottled my first batch today. SWMBO said the flat and warm Alaskan Amber was "not bad".

THe bottling bucket was placed on the kitchen island counter with a 3" piece of tubing connecting the bottling cane to the spigot. It dripped and there were a few spills. SWMBO let the 4 month old puppy in. It went straight for the floor where the spills were. She cleaned it up. When I got up to get more bottles she came back. Not content with licking the flloor she then started licking the bottling cane. If you lick the end a big gush of beer comes out. The dog is now over there sleeping it off.

In three weeks I will post a "Is my beer infected" post. <GG>

I love southern blizzards. At 6 AM it was 32 degrees. Snowed 5 ". made 3 snowmen. By 3 pm it was 50 degrees and was all gone. That should do us for another 3 years.

Yeah I haven't brewed a beer that penny didn't like. She just gets a few drops on my finger though. And I don't give her IPA either, but she sure goes for scotch and congac too!

When I first got my dog, Mayday, we had an awful time breaking him of his bottle tipping habit. At only 3 months, he had discovered that bottles, when knocked over, often delivered delicious beer.

He slept quite a bit as a pup, and I've often wondered if the two were related :p

Our westie seems to like it, Thats some blond ale in her dish :drunk:! The funny part is that our weiner dog wont touch the stuff.

rubybeeria1.jpg

My dog seems sad today, since I installed new drip trays and don't have those drippy picnic taps any more. He LOVED sitting next to the kegerator just waiting for a spilled drop or two.

For some reason, all dogs seem to like beer. Unfortunately, the love antifreeze too. Be careful when "sharing" your homebrew with your pooches though, as the hops can be fatal to our pooches, even in the smallest amounts. I know this as a fact, as my dog of 14 years, Lulu ate a fragment of a hop pellet that was dropped on the floor and sadly passed away from kidney failure. Hops cause a reaction in dogs that make them unable to regulate their body temperature. More information can be found here:Hops induced Malignant Hyperthermia in Dogs

yea my lab has an awful bottle tipping habit. I was always worried about the malignant hyperthermia but I think thats only for Hoppy brews and the actual hop pellets.

Hes 6 and has been tipping since he was a pup so I think its ok in moderation.

He seems to prefer Yeungling though

I agree that I think the beer itself is ok as my own dog has enjoyed a small bowl of brew from time to time. I just wanted to give a general warning to people who might have been unaware of the potential for disaster for us pooch lovers out there, so that no one else will have to go thru what my wife and i went through with our old dog.

Zauber, my German Shepherd, loves beer. I don't give her much, but she can't resist trying. She'll jump up on me when I'm sitting on the couch with a beer, lick my face and act all cute, and then try to shove her nose right into my mug. It seems the darker the beer, the more she goes for it.

I love to get my dog drunk! She gets to stumbling all around the kitchen floor. She forgets her fear of smooth floors and everything! Then she will want to play on the carpet and roll around real stupid! Now we got a young male and I'm getting him drunked up too! Fun!

(Just kidding, although I usually give them a couple of teaspoons of beer when I'm making it, cause they really do like it).

I love to get my dog drunk! She gets to stumbling all around the kitchen floor. She forgets her fear of smooth floors and everything! Then she will want to play on the carpet and roll around real stupid! Now we got a young male and I'm getting him drunked up too, he calls me "Dad." Fun!

There, I fixed that for ya Homercidal. :D

:mug:

My Labs LOVE beer. They also love the whole grain used to make it and the wort (especially the first runnings) So...every brew day (every Saturday) I give them a few handfuls of grain to eat while I`m weighing it all out. Then I save about four ounces of the first runnings for each of them and add it to a couple of small bowls of the spent grain I`ve collected after I`m done sparging. They look foreword to this every week...yea they`re spoiled, but you only live once.:)

My St. Bernard loves captain and coke. She'll drink beer but she prefers rum. Btw, thanks for the info on hops, I was unaware of that.

Back