Thoughts on Vacu Brew system from More Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
Guys I have a friend who's looking at getting the Vacu Brew system from More Beer, view here; http://morebeer.com/view_product/9115/102305/VacuBrew_All-Grain_Brewing_System

He really likes the idea of this system because of it's size, cost, makes 5 gallons rather than 10, and can be used on his 6 burner commercial style kitchen stove. So he's asked me about it and I don't know what to make of it. If it works well it's a good deal and is really what he's looking for.

The concern I have is for how it lauters and it's efficiency. All lautering systems/mash tuns that I know of are gravity based. This product doesn't have a spigot at the bottom of the boiler so the wort is pumped up and out of the MLT. I question this process, if I'm understanding it correct, or rather guessing correctly! Anyone have any experience with this product or know where we can find some reviews?

Thanks for any help.

Schlante,
Phillip

For me, I think it is kind of like an electric fork. When only doing five gallons the volumes are not that great or heavy. With an extra vessel you are only lifting say 2-3 gallons at a time. Hooking up a vac pump and sealing the kettles to move 2 gallons of sparge water seems silly. I have been using a one gallon plastic pitcher and simply "ladling" the hot liquor or sparge water to the MT takes about 20 seconds.

This is batch sparging btw.

I prefer a simple approach, but if you like gizmos and will be fascinated by the idea of sealing your vessels and moving water and wort around w/ a vac pump, by all means, it's your 500.

It sounds like a great idea. I imagine the clean up is easier than more complex set ups and I don't see anything wrong with the process. Back to brewing indoors in the kitchen is somewhat appealing to me as I don't really look forward to braving 30F outside this weekend. I would tell your friend that you don't really have any idea how it works and let him go for it if he wants - then of course tell him to post results on HBT.

Looks like it is B/O so he might have to wait awhile.

Back