Immersion chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teufelhunden

Reaction score
Guys, I am new and am really interested in building a immersion chiller..I just brewed a batch and took a while to bring wort to pitching temp.....Long story short I want to build one of these. I have searched but can not find a how to thread..Can someone help me out?

Basically get some soft copper (25' will do for a 5 gallon batch), coil it up so that it will fit in your pot. Then, attach it to a cool running water source. A lot of people just hook theirs to the hose outside. To do this you can either get the hose, and proper threading from a place like morebeer.com. Or you can just cut a hose in half and clamp down each end to the copper (this is what I did, although it does leak some, it was really easy).

There are all sorts of threads about this. I am sure the search button can tell you a lot more than I can.

I made my chiller today, 10meters of 8mm Dia coiled at about 200mm Dia the in end has fittings up to 3/4" bsp so a washing machine hose fits to it, so an old washing machine hose links up to the outside tap also 3/4"bps. The out end of my copper pipe is long. This way it just hangs down outside of the vessel and pours onto the ground or over the drain so no need for any fittings on the out end.
Used it today 20litres from boiling to 20degs C in 12 mins I am happy with that !

If you want to diy it coppertubingsales has 3/8" 50ft kits for 41-46$

Thats were i got mine and made the ribcage chiller.

Semper fi

Back