First time using liquid yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impulserush

Reaction score
I used my first liquid yeast last brew about a month ago. WL029, Its been 2 weeks in the bottle at about 65 to 70 degrees and I chilled and checked. Very low carbination. I rolled the bottles and will let sit another week.

Is this a normal condition of the liquid yeast? When I bottled the beer it was almost perfectly clear.

Thanks

Its a midwest supply copper ale.:mug:

I'm sure there was plenty of yeast in there to carb the beer. Just give it a few more weeks. Two weeks is still very short for carbing a bottle.

What type of beer was it? High Alcohol? Makes a big difference on carb time.

Alcohol it about 6%. Copper ale with like 8 lbs. of extract. I did an IPA with 10 lbs. of extract and Dry safale-05 and that carbed up nicely with in 2 weeks. I thought maybe it s just liquid yeast takes a little longer?

I used my first liquid yeast last brew about a month ago. WL029, Its been 2 weeks in the bottle at about 65 to 70 degrees and I chilled and checked. Very low carbination. I rolled the bottles and will let sit another week.

Is this a normal condition of the liquid yeast? When I bottled the beer it was almost perfectly clear.

Thanks

Its a midwest supply copper ale.:mug:

Did you do a starter or just pitch the vial?

No I did not, I was under the impression I did not need to with the whitelabs yeast vials. Am I wrong?

No, you really don't have to. White Labs recommends making a stater if your OG is above 1.070. With 8# of extract, what was your OG? around 1.060? You should have been fine just pitching the vial.

Did you happen to check the "Best Before" date?

I like making starters with all of Liquid Yeast, even for lower gravity wort. It will add viability to yeast that might be a little old, or damaged during shipping.

You will probably be fine, just give it a couple more weeks.

Yes you are right on with your gravity. The final gravity ended at 1.010. That was below what the kit specs were.

How is the best way to make a starter? What do you do?

Thanks for your help.

Yes you are right on with your gravity. The final gravity ended at 1.010. That was below what the kit specs were.

How is the best way to make a starter? What do you do?

Thanks for your help.

Forgot to ask. did you use priming sugar or DME? How much did you use?

Back