LHBS got my grain bill wrong. Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiziks

Reaction score
I went to my LHBS today and there was a guy there who I've never had service with (been going to this place about 3mo now). He ended up giving me the wrong grains, and I'm wondering what I can do with these, or how it will turn out (they are all mixed and milled in a brown bag).

My recipe was for a simple 5.5 gallon weizen and what he gave me won't meet the criteria for it.

I requested the following grains:
5# Wheat
4# Pilsner
1# Crystal 40L

This is what I got:
5# Pale 2-Row
4# Wheat
1# Crystal 40L

I'm considering just using it and seeing how it turns out, and going back to get the right stuff tomorrow. Then I can brew two batches this weekend, so no major loss.

Thanks in advance!

You could throw in an American yeast and just make an American wheat. Maybe add some orange peel and/or coriander if you want.

The pale instead of pilsner difference in color will be over-whelmed by the C40. It really isn't far off, just go ahead and brew it.

Then get the right ingredients, brew that and report back on the differences. Blind tastings only.

I like the idea of the blind tasting, that could be interesting. I was considering harvesting some yeast from my Oatmeal Stout (Wyeast 1056) and adding some lemon zest to it.

I think I'll split it up into two small batches and do both. I'm going to go get the correct grain tomorrow and brew that as well. After a few weeks I'll report back and share my results with you guys.

Thanks again

Sounds good to me. Good excuse to brew extra beer. I brewed a Lemon Wheat over the summer with 2 zested lemons, sorachi ace hops, and US-05. Turned out a bit more lemony than I was going for but still pretty good. If I brewed it again I would probably back the zest back and maybe lose the sorachi ace. Good luck with yours.

Back